Q. Pain due to pancreatitis is unbearable. Please help.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Published on May 07, 2018

My sister has been diagnosed with pancreatitis, portal vein thrombosis, and a blood clot in small intestines. Doctors cannot seem to pinpoint what is going on in her intestines/ abdomen. They have her on blood thinners. However, no clot will cause this much pain. Her pain is literally unbearable as she is screaming in pain right after she vomits. Not even morphine helps. Please help.

Hours after she eats, these same symptoms come back. Vomiting is very bad and nonstop and the pain is not bearable. They keep sending her home with narcotics but she cannot even keep those down.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

She needs a CT scan along with a colonoscopy and upper GIT (gastrointestinal tract) endoscopy to detect the cause of her symptoms.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Can Escitalopram cause acute pancreatitis?

Query: Hi doctor, My dad is suffering from acute pancreatitis. It started six days ago and he is getting better now but he used to take antidepressants like Escitalopram and Ezeepam and he has been taking these kinds of anxiety medicines from a long time but not continuously but from last six months the u...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and can understand your concerns. The patient cannot stop the medications at his own. It is always best to inform the treating physician before thinking of changing or stopping medications. There is a specific protocol to taper off Escitalopra...  Read Full

Ultrasound shows flushed out kidney stones. Why is burning still there?

Query: Hello doctor, I had UTI and kidney stones earlier. My ultrasound states that my pancreas are normal in size and echotexture and the kidney stones have been flushed out, but there is infrequent burning. Can you shed more light on the latter part (echotexture)? Currently, I am on ayurvedic medicines ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This ultrasound is normal (pancreatitis, spleen and kidneys) (attachment removed to protect patient identity) besides, there are the following findings: Fat accumulated in the liver, which means that the patient should avoid alcohol and lose some pounds. Some pol...  Read Full

Is there any treatment for chronic pancreatitis with calcium build-up in the pancreatic duct?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife had pancreatitis, and now she has scarring and calcium buildup in her pancreatic duct. According to her doctor, there is nothing to be done, and she has to live on a liquid diet. I am looking for a second opinion because I do not want her to die from this. Any help is appreciat...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the description, she is suffering from chronic pancreatitis. In this, a persistent inflammation develops in the pancreas. Over time, the inflammation causes scarring and damage to parts of the pancreas. This can then lead to enzymes and insulin deficiency. The...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now