Q. What is cauterized tumor?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 22, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

Could you answer from my pathology report whether the tumor encapsulated or nonencapsulated? Does it show positive margin or free margin? Could you explain me the findings in detail? Thanks in advance.

#

Hope this report finds you in good health. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

In the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is no mention of an encapsulation. Usually in classical papillary carcinoma as you had, there is no capsule often seen. Only in follicular variant of papillary carcinoma, capsule is commonly described.

At present, there is no need to worry about capsule. Only in follicular carcinoma, we are worried about capsular breach or invasion. In classical papillary carcinoma, we do not bother about capsule.

• As it is multifocal, the whole thyroid is removed and there is no vascular or lymphatic invasion seen in the sections. It is probably safe to assume that there is no spread. Also, no cervical lymph nodes are enlarged. It means that no invasion beyond thyroid.
  • To talk about margin, in thyroid tumors, whole thyroid is usually excised. Being multifocal, the whole thyroid was excised and hence, safe to say, the entire tumor is removed. There was no invasion into the surrounding areas, and hence the margins are negative.

For further information consult a geriatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/geriatrician

Thank you very much for your reply. Could you explain to me what cauterized tumor is? It was written in the report. The radiation doctor told me that she is worried about that, but she did not explain.

#

Thanks for asking again. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

Parathyroid glands are present just beyond the thyroid gland. Any major surgery was done, parathyroid glands can be damaged. If any surgery is being done and the tumor tissue is close, doctors perform cauterization to burn maximum tissue to avoid recurrence and also to prevent removal of the parathyroid.

• The largest tumor in the left lobe on the posterior side. To avoid spill over or damaging parathyroid, cauterization or burning of tumor tissue is done.
  • Sometimes, when the tumor is managed when the edges are involved, tumor cells can move and rarely survive and grow. Hence, there can be a recurrence. Your radiotherapist may be worried a bit, as there maybe a risk.
  • The risk is rare. If it recurs, radioactive iodine therapy will solve the issue. Not to worry about this, as I told earlier, it carries the best prognosis.

For further doubts consult a geriatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/geriatrician

|