Q. What is the treatment for paracetamol poisoning?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My friend took 4 g of Paracetamol yesterday morning for back pain. Then, he visited the hospital yesterday evening for Paracetamol poisoning. What is the treatment for this situation?

#

• More than 3.5 g of Acetaminophen can cause liver toxicity. But, one time dose should not cause too much harm. Technically, if it is more than two to four days, then the accumulative effect is dangerous.
  • Since he went late, I doubt that he would have received the activated charcoal. The drug of choice is N-Acetylcysteine.
  • The treatment is aimed at removing the Acetaminophen from the circulation and replacing it by glutathione.
  • This antidote Acetylcysteine acts as a precursor for glutathione. It helps to prevent damage to the liver. N-acetylcysteine can neutralize NAPQI (N-Acetyl-p-benzoquinone imine) by itself, which is an active metabolite of Paracetamol causing the main damage.
  • There are protocols using N-Acetylcysteine that can be followed to help prevent progression of the disease, but it depends upon the hospital if they have adopted it or not.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

If I had six Paracetamol tablets and seven of Mefenamic acid, how bad can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. What if I have six tablets of 500 mg Paracetamol (Crocin advance) and seven tablets of 500 mg Mefenamic acid (Ponstan forte) at one go (within five minutes)? How bad will it be? What will the side effects be?  Read Full »

Are there any permanent side-effects of Percoset?

Query: Hello doctor, If prescribed Percoset (5/325) and reversion back to regular Acetaminophen, is there even a slight chance that the oxy component of the Percoset could be triggered since Percoset side effects can be permanent even with one use?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»