Q. How can parasitic infection of GIT be treated?

Dr. Hiren Patel

I have had GI issues which do not go away. There severity is cyclical. I have reason to believe that I may have a parasitic infection.

#

Yes, it looks like some parasite kind of thing but difficult to say from picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is better to get proper stool test with special stains that will tell kind of parasite. Other thing I want to know is what kind of GI issues you have. Exact nature, duration and also pain is there or not, constipation or diarrhea?

For parasite, I recommend tablet Nitazoxanide 500 mg two times a day for 5 days will elimate most of parasite from your body. GI issue related to parasite is not so common so I think it is better you describe your exact history of GI issue and what medications they had given to you.

I have intermittent loose stools, which then turns to constipation and struggles to pass waste. My spine issues return. I pass suspicious material such as in the images and what appear to be cysts. Then it goes away for a few months or so; only to return with similar symptoms.

#

Yes, bowel disturbance is common with GI parasites but such a big thing cannot be ova of cyst, only mature warm can be such a large thing. It looks like fasciola to me but cannot say from image. I think you can go to any laboratory and give stool sample. Tell them I want stool examination to be done that will tell you broad picture of things as there may be multiple things associated with parasite, no need to go to doctor.

After submitting stool you can start tablet Nitazoxanide 500 mg two times a day after food for 3 days that will serve your problem. Send me stool report once you get it.

|