Q. Bumps on buttocks that are itchy and painless. What can it be?

Dr. Vinay Kumar
Published on Jun 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

I have got bumps on my buttocks which are painless and itchy. No pus is present. They are hard, dry and usually itchy while sleeping. I am trying to avoid scratching it but the sensation of itching increases even more unless I strike my nails over it. There is no increase in the number of bumps so far and it has been 4 days till now. I have been applying Betnovate skin cream but there has been no change. Please help.

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Cosmetology Dermatology Microbiology Venereology
#

I have noted your case details (attachments removed to protect patient identity) and would help you deal with the problem on the basis of my experience with similar cases in my clinic.

• Please do not use any purely steroidal cream like the one that you are already using as this will mask the original lesion and make difficult both the diagnosis as well as treatment.
  • It would be better to use a preparation which is mainly anti-itching with a weak steroid like Hydrocortisone.
  • One such preparation that has helped my patients in a good measure is Crotorax-HC (Crotamiton). This can be applied as often as needed.
  • Gamma benzene hexachloride (Lindane) in lotion form works best to eliminate the infection. It needs to be used and massaged all over except face and scalp after bath and rubbed vigorously. It has to be followed by two more applications in the same manner at 12 hours gap. It needs to be repeated once a week in the same manner.
  • Anti-allergic like Levocetirizine 10 mg per day at night has helped almost all patients in relief from symptoms of itching.
  • Please also ensure that other family members and contacts are not having the infection of this nature. Since the problem may get transferred from one to another.
  • Separate bed linen and items of personal use like towels also need to be taken care of. I am sure you will be well soon.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Why am I having cold draining nose and body pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cold draining nose and body pain. Please help.  Read Full »

What has caused this swelling on my face, insect bite or allergy?

Query: Hi doctor,I have some skin issue on my face. It looks as if some insect has bitten on it and a bit swollen. Is that due to some allergy?  Read Full »

I have itching and hot feeling in between my thigh and vagina. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a strong itching and hot feeling in the space between my left thigh and vagina. What could be causing this? I am really not able to tell if there is a color change.  Read Full »