Q. Is my grandfather having Parkinson's?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

MRI says mild cerebral atrophy causing impaired motor coordination for my grandfather aged 64, but diagnosed as Parkinson's. Will there be any relation? But, another doctor who saw the report said that it is not Parkinson's and his condition is getting worse due to the dose of PD drug taken. He is taking Syndopa since diagnosed for PD. Once he had fallen of the bike while driving, from then it has started slowly and progressing now. Only his hands are not properly functional. He can speak with analytical reasoning, so I got a little doubt and seeking out. Any advice on his condition would be helpful.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I have gone through the provided details and attached MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Although it is not enough to refute diagnosis of Parkinson's disease as Parkinson's disease can be diagnosed through clinical examination and there is no test to confirm or rule out.

But, there is a possibility of Parkinson-plus disease in which condition deteriorates with use of Parkinson drug (Levodopa).

• In addition, mild coordination and cerebral atrophy in specific location favors the diagnosis of Parkinson-plus syndrome rather than Parkinson disease.
  • Speaking with analytical reasoning is not a criteria as some reasoning may remain even in late stage Parkinson's disease and plus syndromes.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Is there a treatment for diffuse cerebral atrophy?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is suffering from diffuse cerebral atrophy. He was admitted last week to a hospital where the doctors told me he is suffering from diffuse cerebral atrophy, but there are no medicines for this and there is no guarantee for his life. Please tell me what is the treatment for t...  Read Full »

Can viral fever lead to Parkinson's disease?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a viral fever six years back. I had a very high temperature of 105, bad cough, also hallucinations. I was seen in the hospital by a CDC doctor and was told I needed to see him a month after I got out of the hospital. I saw him and asked him what I had, and got no answer what so ev...  Read Full »