Q. Is my grandfather having Parkinson's?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 11, 2021

MRI says mild cerebral atrophy causing impaired motor coordination for my grandfather aged 64, but diagnosed as Parkinson's. Will there be any relation? But, another doctor who saw the report said that it is not Parkinson's and his condition is getting worse due to the dose of PD drug taken. He is taking Syndopa since diagnosed for PD. Once he had fallen of the bike while driving, from then it has started slowly and progressing now. Only his hands are not properly functional. He can speak with analytical reasoning, so I got a little doubt and seeking out. Any advice on his condition would be helpful.

#

I have gone through the provided details and attached MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Although it is not enough to refute diagnosis of Parkinson's disease as Parkinson's disease can be diagnosed through clinical examination and there is no test to confirm or rule out.

But, there is a possibility of Parkinson-plus disease in which condition deteriorates with use of Parkinson drug (Levodopa).

• In addition, mild coordination and cerebral atrophy in specific location favors the diagnosis of Parkinson-plus syndrome rather than Parkinson disease.
  • Speaking with analytical reasoning is not a criteria as some reasoning may remain even in late stage Parkinson's disease and plus syndromes.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|