Q. Can Levothyroxine be taken along with MAO inhibitor?

Dr. Amritagarwal
Published on Apr 07, 2017

I am wondering if I can take Levothyroxine along with MAO inhibitor? Also, I have taken Etizolam for a sleep disorder, how long do I need to wait before I can take MAO inhibitor?

Dr. Amritagarwal

Pharmacology
#

You can take Levothyroxine with MAO (monoamine oxidase) inhibitor.

The list of contraindicated drugs is as follows.

1. Amphetamines.
  2. Cocaine.
  3. MDMA (3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine).
  4. Opiates.
  5. Barbiturates.
  6. Decongestants and allergy medications.
  7. Diet pills.
  8. Methylphenidate.
  9. Asthma inhalers.
  10. Meperidine.
  11. Levodopa.
  12. Dopamine.
  13. Carbamazepine.
  14. Certain antihypertensive medications.
  15. Sympathomimetic amines (direct and indirect acting) including pseudoephedrine and ephedrine.

MAO inhibitor after being stopped, show an increase of neural monoamine levels for 2 to 3 weeks.

Concomitant use of MAO inhibitor with Etizolam show side effects like sedation, dizziness, etc., but not fatal side effects are reported.

• Also, if you want to stop the use of any drug, taper down to three-fourth of its dose for five days, then consecutively to half of its dose for seven days. Then reduce it further to one-fourth dose for ten days.
  • Meanwhile, do brisk walking or exercise daily for 20 minutes. That will cause the release of anti-stress hormone endorphins.
  • Also, indulge yourself in learning something new that will also cause the release of serotonin. Use of perfumes also leads to increase epinephrine levels, that are the hormones responsible for mood elevation and sound sleep.

For more information consult a pharmacologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pharmacologist

Thank you, doctor,

That was very helpful. How long does it take for Etizolam to leave the body completely? I used to take it regularly, but have just taken two tablets of 0.5 mg, a week ago. Is my body already cleaned off it?

Dr. Amritagarwal

Pharmacology
#

• Etizolam is a drug which has a hepatic metabolism, and its half-life is 6 to 8 hours. So, it is entirely washed out from the body within 16 to 18 hours maximum.
  • Yes, your body is cleared from Etizolam.

For further queries consult a pharmacologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pharmacologist

Is Dextroamphetamine contraindicated in heart condition?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 55 year old woman recently diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed stimulants. I have hypertension and I take Amlodipine 5 mg, Losartan 50 mg and Propranolol (10 to 60 mg) for anxiety which also helps with my blood pressure. My echocardiogram says that my left ventricular wall thickne...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. So, currently, you do not have any serious heart issues. The impaired relaxation and diastolic dysfunction occur due to chronically elevated BP leading to hypertrophy. It is not serious heart problem and needs no specific treatment. It is similar to the bodybuilding ...  Read Full

Can a double dose of Levothyroxine help until I get to see a doctor?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my lab results recently. I have an appointment with the thyroid doctor in a week. I am afraid of going to the ER plus I have muscle spasms, body jerks, and confusion. Two days ago, I took a double levothyroxine dose of 125 mcg. Yesterday, I added 5 mcg synthetic T3, ma...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have hypothyroidism. I suggest that you take tablet Levothyroxine 50 mcg once daily keeping in mind your age and based on your weight and lab results. Consult your specialist doct...  Read Full

Azithromycin Tablet

Article Overview: Drugs (medicines) are a boon to the recent era of various diseases. Some are so commonly prescribed and even sold over-the-counter in various places. Hence, detailed knowledge about the medicine you take is necessary to avoid any unwanted reaction. One such drug is Azithromycin. Read Article

Dr. Divya Banu M
Pharmacologist

Drugs (medicines) are a boon to the recent era of various diseases. Some are so commonly prescribed and even sold over-the-counter in various places. Hence, detailed knowledge about the medicine you take is necessary to avoid any unwanted reaction. One such drug is Azithromycin. Introduction: ...  Read Article

Ask a Pharmacologist Now