Q. I have been prescribed Clonazepam for tremors. Is it fine to take this drug for the rest of my life?

Dr. Gursimran

I am a 72-year-old woman with Parkinson’s disease for six years. I take Carbidopa-Levodopa, Selegiline, and Rytary. I have a leg tremor from my hip to my toes. The medicine works well for the tremors, and I also have an internal tremor, which seems to be my central nervous system. My neurologist just prescribed Clonazepam 0.5 mg for the internal tremor. I only took it for three days so far, but I seem to feel better. My question is that I am very fearful of becoming addicted to any drug, and I want to know if it is fine to take this drug for the rest of my life. From what I have read, a person can be addicted after two weeks of taking it.

#

The medicines that you have been prescribed are perfectly fine. For internal tremors, Clonazepam is fine, but you have to keep on checking the addiction by reducing the dosage every other day. For 3 to 4 days, you have to take a full dose but keep on giving trials of the half dose also. This will keep your brain ticking, and the chances of you getting addiction are less. Finally, after a month, you should actually reduce the dosage to half, and in the coming month, stop it gradually and check. Clonazepam is very good for anxiety. Let me know if I can be of help.

Thank you, that is very helpful. I will discuss it further with my neurologist.

I appreciate your advice.

#

I will be glad if I will be able to help you out.

My good wishes.

|