Q. What shall I do for broken nail bed?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 08, 2020

My nail beds are not smooth. The area from where nails are coming out is broken. I am having this problem for more than six years. First, it was there only on a single nail and then it started spreading. Sometimes, watery pus forms near the root of the nail. I have sent the images for your reference.

#

I have seen your query and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It seems that you are suffering from paronychia with ingrown nails. Paronychia is infection around a fingernail.
  • In your case, since you are suffering from last 6 years, it looks like chronic paronychia, which is usually caused by a fungal infection.
  • It can get investigated either through gram staining or culture to rule out bacteria or Potassium hydroxide smear to rule out fungal infection.
  • In case of soft tissue swelling, the infection may resolve with warm soaks of three to four times daily. But, if an abscess has developed, then incision and drainage must be performed.
  • For pain, I suggest oral antibiotics like Augmentin 625 mg thrice daily (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) if not sensitive to penicillin group.
  • Also, I suggest a topical Fusidic acid cream and Clotrimazole or Sebifine ointment (Terbinafine) twice daily for five days.
  • For nail plate abnormality, I suggest tablet Fluconazole once weekly for six months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Do cut your nail from side as side nails once grow will pinch the skin and cause recurrent problem. Also, avoid prolonged contact of your hand with water.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I did not understand the warm soaks that you have mentioned? Should I do it with warm water only or I need to mix something with water?

#

• You can use warm normal saline or mix a little bit of salt in the warm water.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Can you take Tylenol with Amoxicillin?

Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday, I had my wisdom tooth extracted. I received a prescription for Tylenol 3 (equivalent to Acetaminophen 300 mg and Codeine 30 mg) for pain and Amoxicillin (500 mg) to prevent infection. I immediately took one Amoxicillin as I walked out of the dental office and for the rest of th...  Read Full »

I have pain in the penis after frequent sex. Please suggest medications.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old male. I am married since six years. I went abroad for a project for two months. There were no sexual relations in these two months. I just came back from the project and am having sex twice a day for the past three days. Now, I have a slight pain in the tip and ba...  Read Full »

What is the cause for seperation of nail from nail bed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 50 years old female, went through menopause but otherwise I am healthy. There is a problem with my nails. Out of 10 nails, six nails have one-third of the nails separated from the nail beds, with a v shape, looking white underneath, rest of the nails are looking pinkish pale. The na...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»