Q. What shall I do for broken nail bed?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 08, 2020

My nail beds are not smooth. The area from where nails are coming out is broken. I am having this problem for more than six years. First, it was there only on a single nail and then it started spreading. Sometimes, watery pus forms near the root of the nail. I have sent the images for your reference.

#

I have seen your query and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It seems that you are suffering from paronychia with ingrown nails. Paronychia is infection around a fingernail.
  • In your case, since you are suffering from last 6 years, it looks like chronic paronychia, which is usually caused by a fungal infection.
  • It can get investigated either through gram staining or culture to rule out bacteria or Potassium hydroxide smear to rule out fungal infection.
  • In case of soft tissue swelling, the infection may resolve with warm soaks of three to four times daily. But, if an abscess has developed, then incision and drainage must be performed.
  • For pain, I suggest oral antibiotics like Augmentin 625 mg thrice daily (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) if not sensitive to penicillin group.
  • Also, I suggest a topical Fusidic acid cream and Clotrimazole or Sebifine ointment (Terbinafine) twice daily for five days.
  • For nail plate abnormality, I suggest tablet Fluconazole once weekly for six months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Do cut your nail from side as side nails once grow will pinch the skin and cause recurrent problem. Also, avoid prolonged contact of your hand with water.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I did not understand the warm soaks that you have mentioned? Should I do it with warm water only or I need to mix something with water?

#

• You can use warm normal saline or mix a little bit of salt in the warm water.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|