Q. What is the most effective treatment for streptococcus pneumonia?

I have shortness of breath (worsens on mild exertion), barking cough, fever, joint pain, headaches, and exhaustion. It feels like asthma but does not respond to asthma medicines. I have tachycardia and palpitations too. What is the most effective antibiotic treatment for streptococcus pneumonia? Can Augmentin duo forte be used? If so, what dose or duration?

#

Yes, Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) is one of the best oral medications for streptococcal respiratory tract infection. The dose is Augmentin Duo 1 gm two times a day for five days. This has to be taken with antacids like tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast once a day for five days.

In throat swab report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), most are physiological streptococcal bacterias which are normally found in the oral cavity.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

I was advised to treat streptococci. Should I?

#

Do you currently have any symptoms suggestive of infection like fever, cough with or without expectoration, sore throat, difficulty in swallowing? If yes then you should get yourself treated. And that too symptoms for short duration like less than a week. If not or symptoms are already resolved then there is no point in having antibiotics.

Next thing, if symptoms are not suggesting infection then we have to find out other causes. Commonly, such symptoms may occur with bronchitis commonly which is usually viral and persist for some time even after the viral infection is settled. Symptomatically, you may have cough syrup like Alex, steam inhalation.

Also, let me know, which asthma medicines you have had so that we can change it to other medications? Do you get any wheezing or doctor auscultated and anything commented on wheezing, etc.? Any relevant investigations if you have undergone like chest X-ray, etc.?

|