Q. What is the reason for green stool after recovering from pneumonia in a child?

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

My nephew got pneumonia two weeks back. He recovered but the problem is his stool got green again after medicine and also when he takes a bath it happens. He is 4 months old. Otherwise, he is fine but this problem becomes severe later. So, we are worried. Would you like to prescribe any medicine or tell why it is happening?

#

For pneumonia, if Augmentin (Amoxicillin with Clavulanic acid) given, then this medicine tend to cause loose motion with color variation of stool. If this is the case then you can stop the medicine, if it is continued till now. If the baby is exclusively breastfed, and passing adequate urine (5 to 6 times a day), then no need to worry. At this age, the stool consistency and frequency is highly variable, which is a normal physiological process. Focus on exclusive breastfeeding which is highly recommended. As top feeding also is a matter of concern for loose motion later. I do not think there is a need for any medication, if the baby is fine, feeding well, playful and hydration is maintained (passing urine adequately).

|