Q. Whom should I consult for swelling inside the cheek and throat stiffness?

Answered by
Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 30, 2020

Hi doctor,

For the last one and a half month, I have been having a swelling inside the cheek and some stiffness in the right throat. Rarely, I have gotten white and red patches. Now, I have one line in my lips and some small red dots, which come on and off. When I consulted a general surgeon, he said it is due to some infection. He gave Metrogyl and Diataal. I had the medicine for 10 days and it did not work. Again, I went to another doctor and he said it as vitamin deficiency and prescribed Limcee tablet. Three days back, I went to my old general surgeon again and he said there is hardness in submucus. He advised me to take Tinidazole 500 mg and vitamin tablets. As of now, I have a small swelling inside the cheek between upper and lower teeth. But, there is no pain. What will be the cause? Whom should I consult? Either an ENT specialist or a dentist? Do I need to get any screening test? Please explain.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • You need to see a general physician to get treatment for this.
  • This is most certainly an infection like mumps or rubella from your symptoms that you have described. It is a classic case with typical symptoms.
  • It is a viral illness and you need antiviral therapy and not antibiotics, which are against bacteria.
  • I hope your doctor diagnose and treat it correctly. To do this you need to get a few blood tests like CBC (complete blood count) and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you doctor,

I am uploading files. Kindly have a look and explain it.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • Tinidazole will not help you. You need the blood tests as I advised and need a change of treatment.
  • This is a calcification in the salivary gland duct particularly parotid (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please consult with reports for further follow up.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can MMR and varicella vaccines cause autism in my 15-month-old kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 15-month-old son was vaccinated with measles vaccine at nine months. Now, he will be vaccinated with MMR and varicella on the same day. I am afraid of the adverse side effects of the MMR vaccine. My son is not premature nor underweight. But after birth, the doctor treated my s...  Read Full »

Why is Z-pak not working for a sinus infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41 year old female. I have been sick for almost a month now. I went to my doctor and he gave me Z-pak antibiotic for sinus infection. Normally, Z-pak makes me feel 100% better in a day or two after taking them. Instead of feeling better, I felt worse. I have completed all the Z-pak...  Read Full »

Is it risky to have sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.