Q. I have high myopia and my power keeps on increasing. Why?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Published on Nov 22, 2019

I am 23 years old. I am suffering from high myopia. The power in my glass is -7:00 in the left eye and -14:00 in the right eye. And the main problem is my power is still increasing. Why is it increasing? Is there any solution to make the power constant? If my power becomes constant, shall I go for Lasik surgery? Can it be done with both the eyes with the power I have? Please kindly give me some suggestions.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

First of all, you need to get an indirect ophthalmoscopy done to rule out areas of weakness in your retina. Cause of your increasing number it can be pathological myopia in which your retina is getting increasingly weak.

Now about lasik: your right eye is amblyopic which means your brain has started neglecting images from this eye and is focusing more on images from the left eye so even if lasik is done the best possible correction in the right would be 6/60. But the good news is if there is no contraindication to lasik you can get it done in the left eye and you can have good vision. There are various pre-operative tests before one considers doing lasik, for example. thickness of the cornea, any breaks in retina, etc. If you qualify for all these then you can go for lasik.

During lasik there is an induced pressure rise in your eye up to 65 mmHg (our inherent pressure is 20 mmHg), so such pressure causes no problem for normal patients. But as far as you are concerned this can be harmful to you, so before lasik, try to do a laser to your weaker parts of the retina. Visit an experienced lasik surgeon and discuss all the pros and cons.

Can dry eyes cause sudden vision obstruction?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel a strange glitch in my vision. It is quite big and takes up a large portion of my central vision. It is neither a shadow nor a flash, it looks like a greasy fingerprint smudge in my vision which disappears quickly. It happens when I blink, but mostly occurs when my eyes move quick...  Read Full »

Why is there blurred vision after stopping eye drops post LASIK surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had LASIK eye surgery one week ago. After stopping my prescribed eye drops, I noticed my vision in my right eye is blurry.  Read Full »

Is it normal to have burning eyes after Lasik?

Query: Hi doctor, I had LASIK done for my eyes two months back. My vision is all right but, I feel a burning sensation at the corners of the eyes (corners from where tear comes). After 20 days of LASIK, (back then) whenever I put any eye drops my eyes started burning. Due to the burning sensation, my eyes ...  Read Full »