HomeAnswersObstetrics and GynecologypcodI am experiencing acne and irregular periods. Please help.

Can a combined oral contraceptive pill help regulate the menstrual cycle?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At April 3, 2024
Reviewed AtApril 3, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am a 53-year-old female experiencing PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease) symptoms such as acne and irregular periods. I am currently on Norethisterone medication prescribed by a general doctor.

Please help. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Obinna Ugwuoke


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have read your query, and I can understand your concern.

PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease) can be quite challenging as it has an impact on physical appearance, which is understandably a cause for concern. The management of PCOD depends on your specific goals. You may need to undergo some investigations to confirm the diagnosis unless you already have results. A recommended medication, especially if you are not planning to get pregnant soon, is a combined oral contraceptive pill. It can regulate your menstrual period and help reduce free testosterone in your body, thereby addressing acne and hirsutism.

Furthermore, dietary and lifestyle modifications are essential to control the weight gain associated with PCOD. If weight gain persists despite exercise, medications may be necessary. Please let me know your concerns as a PCOD patient and whether you have any investigation results.

I hope I have answered your question.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Obinna Ugwuoke
Dr. Obinna Ugwuoke

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy