Q. I had my period twice this month with abdominal cramps and loss of appetite. Am I sick?

Dr. Reetika Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 31, 2020

I am an 18-years-old female. I had my period twice this month, and I have been having uncomfortable feelings on my lower left abdomen. There is blood again, so this is the third time I have had blood, and it is not the time for my period yet. I have had a history of hormonal imbalance, but this has not happened before. I recently stopped birth control because my partner and I do not get intimate. I have used so many pregnancy tests, which is always negative, so I am sure that I am not pregnant. I do not have money to go to a doctor, so I want to make sure I am sick before we go to doctors, so I do not waste my family’s remaining money. It has been going on for months (the random cramps). I have also lost my appetite, and whenever I eat, I can only eat a bit. Yes, I had a rectal examination before because I did not get my period for three months. I also have many experiences with UTI in the past.

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. See you have irregular periods, and there can be one of the several reasons for the same like hormonal imbalance, stress, weight gain or loss, polycystic ovarian syndrome, etc. Coming to them one by one:

• See, as you have said, hormonal imbalance, please tell me if you have undergone any tests, also when did you stop birth control pills?
  • Stress is leading to irregularities in periods of several females worldwide. Also, COVID-19 stress has made things worse. Almost 25% of females worldwide are experiencing irregular periods as of today.
  • Your height and weight are fine. Have you tested yourself for thyroid anytime?
  • Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a problem in girls of reproductive age. Do you have excess hair growth, thinning of hair and scalp, oily skin? Irregular periods you are already having. So note down if you are having any unusual signs, as I mentioned.

The image you have shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity) appears to be of mild spotting only, so I think that is not worrisome. Please share additional details as requested so that I can help you better. If you were sexually active, please repeat the urine pregnancy test with the first urine of the day for an accurate result. Do not drink too much fluid before your test. Adhere to all guidelines written on the package of the pregnancy test kit. Based on the pregnancy test outcome and other details, we can decide upon further management of your menstrual health. Do not worry; I am always there for you. God bless.

Thank you for answering my queries.

I must admit that I am sexually active, but we do the behind one. The butt one because I am afraid of getting pregnant. We have not done the normal one for almost a year now. I have taken four pregnancy tests, and all came out negative. I was taken two pregnancy tests last month. I have gone through a rectal examination in the past for my hormonal imbalance; they did not find anything serious, just that I needed to take birth control pills.

I have been having a bit of hair fall, and whenever I scratch my scalp, there is white stuff (but I think it is because of my current shampoo). My face has been oily sometimes, but I do not know if that means anything. I have had pretty bad acne cases sometimes, but I also have sensitive skin, so I am not sure. My main concern is the pain in my lower left abdomen. There is always an uncomfortable feeling on my lower left, mainly when I lie on my stomach. Also, I stopped in the middle of my birth control last month. Also, I have not been tested for thyroid.

#

Thanks for the details you have shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Firstly you need not get tensed. Whatever issues you are going through, that is not very usual, and many girls undergo similar or even worst problems, so firstly, cheer up. Please do not get so scared with vaginal intercourse; with appropriate birth control, you can enjoy your sexual life without fear of getting pregnant. Even if you are doing intercourse from behind, I hope you are also using some precautions like barrier contraception like a condom. I guess we can undertake an ultrasound scan for checking for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). Do you have any ultrasound scan centers around your house?

Please do not worry; I am always there for you. Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information

God bless.

| 

Can I Get Pregnant with PCOS?

Article Overview: With the right treatment and a healthy lifestyle, even women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) have high chances of getting pregnant. To know more, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Pari Bansari

PCOS (polycystic ovaries syndrome) is quite challenging and frustrating. Most women do not seek help until they get menstrual irregularity and have a problem in getting pregnant. The good news is, with the right treatment and healthy lifestyle, women with PCOS have high chances of getting pregnant. ...  Read Article

Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bl...  Read Full »

PCOS and Weight Management

Article Overview: Weight reduction plays a major role in managing the complications of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Read Article

Dr. Deepali Mohan Pohane

PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome is a hormonal disorder in women. Studies and observations have shown that proper weight management has resolved many issues associated with PCOS. PCOS Is Characterized By: Menstrual irregularities. Excess androgen. Ultrasound features of multiple small folli...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»