Q. I have acne, hair fall, facial hair, and back pain. What tests do I need to confirm PCOS?

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 05, 2020

I am a 22-year-old female who weighs about 95 kg. I want to ask you my doubt regarding PCOS. Symptoms like acne, hair fall, facial and breast hairs, sometimes clots in periods, though my periods are regular and with pains. At times I have severe lower back pain before periods and feel dizzy during periods. I never had a constipation problem earlier, but for the past seven to eight months, I am facing this problem as well. Also, I have noticed two to three hard pimples around the labia with no pain. I had done my TSH, and CBT tests were done, which were normal for CBT and had 5% of hypothyroidism. My weight never seems to go down, no matter what I do. I also have vitiligo, which I heard is add on to the problem of weight and thyroid. So, doctor, I want to get my tests done for PCOS to be sure. Please let me know what all tests are required. I heard a transvaginal scan is the best and essential to get clear pictures.

#

Thanks for reaching out. Let me provide you some information regarding the symptoms related to PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). Not all symptoms occur in all women with PCOS. Some women may experience only one or two of these symptoms.

• Irregular or absent periods means infrequent, irregular, or prolonged menstrual cycles are the most common PCOS sign. For example, you might have fewer than nine periods a year, more than 35 days between periods, and abnormally heavy periods.
  • Difficulty getting pregnant (subfertility or infertility).
  • Acne.
  • Excess facial or body hair.
  • Male pattern balding.
  • Weight gain.

1. Serum fasting insulin level.
2. Serum total testosterone.
3. RBS (random blood sugar).
4. Lipid profile.
5. Pelvic ultrasound.

You should aim to lose weight if you are overweight.
Losing weight helps to reduce the high insulin level that occurs in PCOS.
Losing weight can be difficult. A combination of eating less and exercising more is best. Even a moderate amount of weight loss can help.
The best foods for someone with PCOS to eat are likely to be slowly absorbed, keeping blood sugar levels steady. It means avoiding white bread, pasta, and rice and choosing wholemeal (oats and wheat) alternatives. Potatoes, sugary foods and drinks are also best avoided. Most fruit, vegetables, pulses, and wholegrain foods are both healthy.

| 

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bl...  Read Full »

Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy

Article Overview: Acne is a very common condition encountered among teens and adults. To decide the protocol for the treatment of acne, it is important for us to know the causes, conditions associated, sites of acne, the cause of acne and factors affecting the onset of acne. Many home remedies are helpful in treating acne. Mild and moderate acne can be treated with medication and severe acne with other treatment procedures. Prevention is more important than cure. Read Article

Dr. Archana

Acne is a very common skin condition. It commonly starts during puberty but can occur at any age. Although it is not a dangerous condition, acne can leave scars on the skin. Acne appears in different parts of the body like face, chest, and back. Acne affects almost all teenagers in different severit...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»