Q. Please help me in understanding lean PCOS?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

I have been getting acne for a few months. Two years back, I skipped a period. Then, my periods are regular, but the cycle is usually delayed by four to five days and sometimes more than that. My period lasts for 3 days rather than 5 to 7 days. I consulted a gynecologist and underwent some hormone tests and ultrasound. I am sharing the reports with you. Please let me know whether I am a patient of PCOS. Will PCOS cause acne? What could be done to prevent cycle delay? How to resolve this PCOS problem? My gynecologist prescribed Gynex syrup and Ovalife tablets for three months. However, I have not started yet. Please provide a second opinion.

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

According to the ultrasound report, it is PCOS only (polycystic ovarian syndrome). All other tests ordered are normal.

To confirm this by hormonal correlation, you need to get your FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and LH (Luteinizing hormone) levels done on day 2 of cycle. It is the reversal of this ratio in PCOS. You may take Ovalife tablet. It is just a supplement. PCOS is not a disease, but just hormonal imbalance.

You are a lean PCOS as you are very thin with a BMI of 23. Try to maintain your weight by a good and balanced diet and regular exercise.

For reduction of acne and maintaining regularity of your cycles, I suggest tablet Diane 35 (Ethinyl estradiol) once a day for 21 days starting from day 2 of the cycle. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

However, regarding acne, your male hormone testosterone levels and also free insulin levels are within normal range and probably not the cause of acne. Consult a dermatologist for acne.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Your opinion is helpful. Please help me in knowing and understanding the term lean PCOS. Usually in PCOS, people tend to gain weight. Being too slim can cause PCOS? What should be the appropriate BMI in my case? Shall I put on more weight? For how long I need to take Diane 35? Is this tablet a permanent solution to irregular cycles? My period lasts for 3 days. Is it normal to get a 3 day cycle?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Lean PCOS mean your report and ovaries are showing polycystic pattern, but your weight is less.

Your BMI is very fine as per your height. You need not gain weight and this will not correct the problem. It is good that you are slim and try to maintain it as well.

Lean PCOS may lead stimulation of your eggs once you want conception. So, do not worry about it now. Eat healthy and exercise regularly.

For periods to be 3 to 5 days is perfectly fine. It should be regularly happening and not about the days or the bleeding.

You may continue Diane for six months or so and once you are planning conception just stop.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|