Q. Why do I not get period for over a year after quitting birth control pills?

I do not get my period for over a year after stopping birth control. I have stopped the birth control pill last year and have not had a period yet. I do eat a very healthy diet and do not do excessive sport. My periods before being on birth control were regular and I do not have a history of PCOS. Why am I not getting a period? I do not want to go back on the pill. What can I do instead?

I have attached my lab reports.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and your hormonal profile is normal just that progesterones are way too low indicating that you are not ovulating and hence no menses. Sometimes, amenorrhoea is seen after prolonged use of oral contraception, however, this can be given a restart by offering a withdrawal bleed with progesterones.

You can be prescribed progesterone-only pills for five days and in the next three to five days, and you shall get withdrawal bleed. You can discuss it with your medical provider and opt for the same.

| 

Do you think my testosterone is too high? Do my FSH and LH ratio indicates PCOS?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The FSH/LH (follicle-stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone) ratio is reversed. Yes, which by books indicate PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). But again for one to diagnose with PCOS, both clinical and ultrasound criteria have to be fulfilled.

One needs to have acne, hirsutism, acanthosis nigricans, reversal of FSH/ LH ratio and most importantly the presence of multiple sub centimetric follicles in each ovary more than ten in each. Also, the AMH (anti-Mullerian hormone) levels of more than four depict PCOS. The free testosterone levels are normal but total is borderline high indicating SHBG (sex hormone-binding globulin) binding to testosterone, again a sign of PCOS.

Nevertheless, even if you satisfy the PCOS criteria (both clinical and ultrasound), still a withdrawal bleed would be mandatory before initiating treatment for PCOS.

| 

How can I stop my body from producing excessive male hormones?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a sickle cell trait. I was diagnosed with pcos and pmdd. I got a colonoscopy done for chronic constipation. But, the report was inconclusive. My main concern is that, my body is producing lot of male hormones. Due to which, I have a lot of facial hair and have a deep voice. On a r...  Read Full »

Can I Get Pregnant with PCOS?

Article Overview: With the right treatment and a healthy lifestyle, even women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) have high chances of getting pregnant. To know more, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Pari Bansari

PCOS (polycystic ovaries syndrome) is quite challenging and frustrating. Most women do not seek help until they get menstrual irregularity and have a problem in getting pregnant. The good news is, with the right treatment and healthy lifestyle, women with PCOS have high chances of getting pregnant. ...  Read Article

Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bl...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now