Q. Is it possible for a patient to develop an allergy to peanut butter and nuts spontaneously?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I am not allergic to anything, but I have developed a phobia and have become allergic to nuts for the past two weeks. I am afraid to eat nuts, especially peanut butter. I have been eating peanut butter my entire life and all the nuts without any problems. However, now I have a fear of developing anaphylaxis from eating nuts. Can you please tell me if it is possible to develop a severe reaction to a food you have not been allergic to before? I have been eating nuts throughout my life, and now I am scared to eat them. Please help me overcome this.

#

Did you have any allergic reaction after eating peanut butter or nuts ever? If the answer is no, this is a completely irrational fear, and I do not know from where you have picked such a thought. So do not worry and continue to eat peanut butter like before. However, if the answer is yes and there have been allergic symptoms, I suggest you get a skin patch test for food allergy.

|