Q. I have been trying to conceive but have had miscarriages. Please help.

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

I have been trying to concieve for two years. I have regular periods. My doctor said everything was fine, but I had PID before. Is it a problem? What can I do?

I was pregnant once five years back and had a miscarriage. I contracted PID one year after the miscarriage. I am currently taking prenatal pills.

#

I understand your concern.

A 22-year-old woman should never worry about not getting pregnant in two years. As you had gotten pregnant previously, no matter what the result was, you stand a very good chance of getting pregnant again. Kindly go through the following investigations and see if you have missed something.

1. Semen analysis and his blood sugar to rule out diabetes (undetected diabetes can damage sperm).

2. Your blood sugar levels and serum thyroid profile.

3. Pelvic scan to rule out any uterine fibroid, polyps, or adnexal problem.

4. Most important is the tubal patency test.

The egg meets sperm in tubes to form the embryo. After four to five days embryo reaches the uterus and implants. This tube cannot be seen on scan or felt on examination. It can be evaluated by HSG (hysterosalpingography, x-ray with dye) or hystero-laparoscopy since you had PID (pelvic inflammatory disease), hence more reasons to evaluate the tubes. Another point to worry about is your weight. Your expected body weight is 52 to 57 kg. Do regular exercise and have a balanced diet. This will clear hormonal imbalances, if any, and also reduce miscarriage risk. Nothing else can reduce your fertility potential.

Hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more queries.

|