Q. My father had undergone partial penectomy. Why is there a need for another surgery?

Answered by
Dr. Rajesh Gulati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 23, 2019

Hello doctor,

My father had partial penectomy two weeks ago, and our doctor has suggested for another surgery. I am sending his postsurgical reports. Can you please let us know if surgery is required, and he still have cancer?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

All tumor has been removed, and resection margins are free. But tumor involvement is deep inside, and so the surgeon wants further surgery so that the tumor should not come back after some time. Also, ultrasound reflects a reactive lymph node, and so your doctor might be planning for the removal of lymph nodes. Further surgery is needed to prevent the come back of cancer.

Thank you doctor,

What do you mean by tumor involvement is deep inside? Does that mean that there is some tumor in his lymph nodes? How soon should I make this surgery? Is it fine if we delay for a week?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I mean, if we check the extent of the tumor, it involves all the layers. As in the report, it is mentioned it involves tunica albuginea, and other layers, in shaft involves dartos muscle. In ultrasound, lymph nodes are reactive so that it might have tumor involvement. One week delay is fine, but this surgery should be done as soon as possible. You need to consult your surgeon also regarding the delay.

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Does radio iodine ablation treatment for hyperthyroidism cause cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, My father had hyperthyroidism six years ago and he underwent radioiodine ablation and now taking thyroxine 100 mg tablet. Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer? Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not? Is there any possib...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your father. Let me answer each one of your questions one by one. Now, I want to know whether this treatment causes cancer? No. Whether it completely destroys the gland or little bit of hormone is secreted or not? Yes, it compl...  Read Full

Human Papilloma Virus - HPV Vaccine and Cancer Prevention

Article Overview: A vaccine that can prevent cancer sounds like a distant dream, but it is true. The HPV vaccine is a vaccine available widely, which can prevent your children from many future cancers. This article is for the purpose of creating awareness regarding this vaccine. Read Article

Dr. Shalini Patodiya
Medical Oncologist

HPV (Human papilloma virus) vaccines have been widely available over a decade. But, a very few people have actually heard about the vaccine and a few have gotten vaccinated. This is the first and only vaccine available against cancer. Human Papilloma Virus: HPV vaccine prevents against human ...  Read Article

Why do I have burning irritation in the middle portion of the penis after masturbation?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old male. For the past four years, I have burning irritation in the middle portion of my penis after masturbation. The irritation gets relieved to some extent after I urinate. Please help me.  Read Full >>

Dr. K V Anand

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Penile pain occurs due to infections or inflammation of the bladder or prostate. Trauma, persistent erection (priapism), cancers, and Peyronie's disease (the development of scar tissue within the penis) are the other causes. Sickle cell anemia may cause priapism due to ...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.