Q. The skin in my penis head is always dry, red, and blotchy. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Atishay Bukharia
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 25, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 28 years old, and I am not under any medication. My query concern is about the penis head. I have a dry penis, I would say, for as long as I can remember, I have never been happy with its appearance in that it always seems red; in the past 12 months, however, the visible symptoms seem to be worse. The skin is blotchy and red, with small lines coming from the edge of the gland. Also, I can see very small blood vessels appearing as well. I am uncircumcised; I do not think it is an STD, and it has been like this for a long time, and I would consider it as chronic. I am not sure if it is a dermatological issue or an infection such as balanitis. I have been to the GP, and they have not thought it was an issue; however it was never this bad, I have been prescribed antifungal cream in the past, which has had little to no effect. In the past, I use to take Canesten. I have pictures. Do you require it?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Do you have any symptoms?

Please send a few good quality photographs taken in natural light, without using flash and from different angles and distances. I am looking forward to your response to help you.


Hi doctor,

Thank you for your reply.

No significant symptoms were seen other than how it looks. I do have a dull ache after masturbation and sex. Sometimes I get a raw pain after urination, although that is not all the time. It sometimes does not have a pleasant smell, either. My penis is often very dry, and I often use saliva to pull back my foreskin, and I try to moisturize frequently.




Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Even on close examination, I found (attachment removed to protect patient identity) your glans as absolutely normal; no sign and symptoms of any disease, including STD (sexually transmitted disease). Some people are genetically predisposed to have dry glans, so your symptoms can be attributed to it. In such a case, please do not use saliva as saliva is acidic and can itself cause allergic contact dermatitis. Instead, you can use plain white soft paraffin plus liquid paraffin combination without any preservative for few times a day as per your symptoms. You do not require any medication. I hope it helps. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.


Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why is Triamcinolone not treating a rash on the penis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a rash on the head of my penis for around two months. They are purplish, sore and tender to touch. I have seen my primary care doctor and he was not sure about the condition and gave me Triamcinolone acetonide cream over two weeks ago. It has not helped. I was also tested recently...  Read Full »

Why are there appears painless white bumps on the penis after unprotected sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an unprotected sex and noticed two issues on the shaft of my penis. The first thing I noticed was a dry, flaky area about the size of a dime. I have applied mosturizer to it thinking it was just dry skin, but it has not gone away over the past two weeks and that spot is still no...  Read Full »

My foreskin is usually swollen after erection. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. Since one year, I have experienced that foreskin on my penis is usually swollen, I was initially over cleaning it, but then I read that irritates the skin more so I stopped applying soap. The swelling is visible only when the penis is erect, and I pull down th...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Venereologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.