Q. The skin in my penis head is always dry, red, and blotchy. Please help.

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am 28 years old, and I am not under any medication. My query concern is about the penis head. I have a dry penis, I would say, for as long as I can remember, I have never been happy with its appearance in that it always seems red; in the past 12 months, however, the visible symptoms seem to be worse. The skin is blotchy and red, with small lines coming from the edge of the gland. Also, I can see very small blood vessels appearing as well. I am uncircumcised; I do not think it is an STD, and it has been like this for a long time, and I would consider it as chronic. I am not sure if it is a dermatological issue or an infection such as balanitis. I have been to the GP, and they have not thought it was an issue; however it was never this bad, I have been prescribed antifungal cream in the past, which has had little to no effect. In the past, I use to take Canesten. I have pictures. Do you require it?

#

Do you have any symptoms?

Please send a few good quality photographs taken in natural light, without using flash and from different angles and distances. I am looking forward to your response to help you.

Thank you for your reply.

No significant symptoms were seen other than how it looks. I do have a dull ache after masturbation and sex. Sometimes I get a raw pain after urination, although that is not all the time. It sometimes does not have a pleasant smell, either. My penis is often very dry, and I often use saliva to pull back my foreskin, and I try to moisturize frequently.

Thanks.

#

Even on close examination, I found (attachment removed to protect patient identity) your glans as absolutely normal; no sign and symptoms of any disease, including STD (sexually transmitted disease). Some people are genetically predisposed to have dry glans, so your symptoms can be attributed to it. In such a case, please do not use saliva as saliva is acidic and can itself cause allergic contact dermatitis. Instead, you can use plain white soft paraffin plus liquid paraffin combination without any preservative for few times a day as per your symptoms. You do not require any medication. I hope it helps. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

|