Q. I have a couple of spots and red bumps on my foreskin. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I have these couple of spots on my foreskin, the reddest one that looks a little bumpy is where the skin is healing and tightening in on the small scab. The top side on the foreskin behind the head is flat, and there is a pink patch of skin. The one on the underside of the head is also just a patch. My penis was a little dry, and when I masturbate, I noticed the first red one had healed. I thought it was a friction burn. So I have been treating it with vitamin E oil. Does this look like friction burn or sores? The pink spots are not fluid-filled or anything but pink and a little shinier than the rest. I do have Valtrex that I have been taking for almost a week, and it is not doing anything as far as I can tell. The red one got way more irritated when I masturbate.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that are provided here, you may be suffering from balanitis which inflammation of the glans or the head of the penis due to infections, improper hygiene, allergies, injuries or frictions on the tip of penis or foreskin, using of irritants like soaps, lotions, STD (sexually transmitted disease), etc. Skin biopsy from the lesions can detect the exact etiology of your present sufferings. In the meantime, you can apply antifungal cream like Clotrimazole with mild corticosteroid cream like Hydrocortisone (Cortisol) two-three times daily along with taking Amoxicillin (500 mg) three times daily. In case of any other query, knock me.

| 

Thank you doctor.

I will start using the antifungal and cortisone. Do you think I should discontinue the Valtrex then? I was only taking that in case if it was Herpes or something like that.

Dr. Zubayeralam

#

Welcome to back icliniq.com.

Thanks for joining us again. Well, I have already mentioned that balanitis may result from infections like bacterial, viral, or fungal. So in your case, balanitis may arise from a viral infection like herpes. As you have already started to take antiviral medication like Valtrex (Valacyclovir), so I have prescribed you both anti-bacterial like Amoxicillin and antifungal like Clotrimazole for covering all causes of balanitis by infections like bacterial, viral or fungal infections. I think you should continue and complete the dosages of your antiviral medications. Maintain your hygiene strictly and wash your affected area with water regularly by avoiding any frictions or injuries to your affected area by wearing loose clothes. You can try this,

1. Capsule Amoxicillin (500 mg) three times daily for seven days.

2. Clotrimazole cream USP 1 %, apply locally two to three times daily.

3. Cortizone-10 Cooling Relief Gel (1 % Hydrocortisone) apply locally two to three times daily.

Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start using the medicines after their consent. By using the medications mentioned above and your current antiviral drugs, you will be able to get rid of your present sufferings.

In case of any other query, ask me, and I will try to reply to you further.

|