Q. Why is there bluish-purple discoloration in the glans penis?

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am 31 years old with 5'9 height and weight 150 lbs. I have both discoloration and numbness but only on the glans penis and not the shaft. I have gotten consultations, and no one can find the problem. I have photos to show before and after. I have had this problem for about a year now can someone please help me. I have gotten my testosterone levels checked, and they are high. I also got an MRI, and everything is fine; no one can find the discoloration and the numbness issue. The only thing I got beforehand was gonorrhea a couple of months before this happened, but I got treated for it. I am currently taking Vitamin B supplements.

#

Thanks very much for consulting us. Discoloration of the glans and penis can have many causes like inflammation, bruises, or ischemia, and numbness can be mainly due to penis or nerve injury. The picture will help with the diagnosis if you send me. Gonococcal infection is intraurethral and will not cause discoloration or numbness. Testosterone will be high if you take supplements, mainly if you do sports. Would you please follow up with pictures so I can figure out the issue? Kind regards.

Thank you for your reply.

The picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is before you can see how the glans is pinkish and has no brown spots.

#

Yes, that is right. Those are normal changes that happen with age-like spots. Color changes are mostly related to vascular changes under the skin. I do not see that treatment is required or will be effective. I can tell you all is well and no worries. Thanks and kind regards.

Thank you for your reply.

I do not know why it only let me upload one photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but here is another photo. You can see the bluish-purple discoloration. And what explains the numbness then? I also noticed the penis glans is colder than the rest of my penis. I believe it might be ischemia because I did get circumcised as an adult two years back, and this problem occurred a year before. I am more worried about the numbness more than anything.

#

Thanks for the follow-up.

Yes, it is only one picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The ischemia can be the cause, and the cause of that will not be circumcision because the discoloration and numbness are after almost a year. The penis is very rich in blood supply, and chances of having ischemia are rare. Further investigations can reveal the cause of ischemia like CT (computed tomography) angiogram or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), and I came back normal. But what I think is even if there is a blood vessel blocked, the changes that occur are irreversible. You can take tablet Neurobion (vitamin B 12), but you are already taking it.

I am sorry there is nothing else to do about it. Let us hope with time, and its functions will return.

Kind regards.

Thank you for your reply.

Here is the other photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). And yes, I have read that causes can be blood vessel binding or DPNB dorsal penile nerve block. Do you think I should get HBOT (hyperbaric oxygen therapy) and PTX (Pentoxifylline) treatment?

#

Thanks for sharing the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Hyperbaric is good for revascularization, but if your concern is loss of sensation, it will not improve because the nerve is damaged and will not regenerate. I think you will not require those treatments. As no good result will be expected out of that treatment in terms of sensation loss, but in color yes, hyperbaric oxygen therapy will be effective. From the picture, it does not look bad. If you have any more queries, please let me know.

Kind regards.

|