Q. Are rashes on penis due to sexually transmitted disease?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Jun 12, 2019

For the past two months, I have been experiencing a minor rash on the crown of my penis. I have have been using antibacterial cream since then but it does not seem to recover. The rash occurred a month after I had an unprotected sex. No itch, no discharge, no pain while urinating or anything just a few rashes that do not seem to go away. Could this be a sign of STDs? No other symptoms are present. I also had an HIV test a month after I had sex and it was non-reactive but I have a very high cholesterol level. Could you please tell me what is going on? I use Brulidine cream (antiseptic and antibacterial cream).

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

I saw your clinical pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), genitals look normal clinically, skin is little dry, I do not see any rash, blister or ulcer which are the manifestation of STD. In the first picture, those white tiny bumps below the glans (tip of the penis) are the harmless ones, they are called pearly penile papules. Are you referring to them?

Herpes will have painful blisters in a group with redness at the base. Syphilis, chancroid will have ulcers. Gonorrhea presents with pus from the urethra, pain while urinating. At present, with your history and clinical pictures, I do not see any symptoms or signs of any STD.

Why does my penis have different colors? It just does not look right.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Different colors, do you mean white dots on glans penis (tips)? Do you have itching? Burning? When did you notice it is of different colors? Any history of unprotected sexual intercourse? Are you using any cream?

No, it does not itch. No burning either. I noticed the color difference a couple of months ago. I had unprotected sex five months ago. I used a certain cream called Brulidine two months ago, two times a day. But stopped using since it shows no effect of healing. It just does not look right to me.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

In those pictures, the tip of the penis (glans) looks little dry. There is white discoloration at the junction. It is the smegma (collection of sebaceous gland secretion). It is normal, needs to be cleaned with warm water and mild soap. I am not sure if that is what you are referring to. Avoid harsh soaps, use moisturizing soaps. I am sorry I do not see any pathology or any abnormality.

I have itching on the testicles and white rashes on the top end of my penis. What it could be?

Query: Hello doctor, I have itching on the left side of my testicle and also two white rashes on the top end of my penis. What are they?  Read Full »

I have no STD symptoms. Should I still get tested before I meet my wife?

Query: Hello doctor,Due to work, I have been away from my wife for more than two years. I had a few sexual encounters with sex workers here. I had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex twice last year, protected oral sex and protected vaginal sex once last year, unprotected oral sex and protected ...  Read Full »

Can you get STD if your partner has never had sex before?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is that if one has sex with a partner who has never had sex before, not using a condom, can he or she still get HIV/HPV or any STDS.  Read Full »