Q. I have a painful swelling in my perianal area. Could it be an abscess?

Dr. John Bocachica
This is a premium question & answer published on May 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

I have a painful lump on my perianal area. I shaved on Friday and at first I thought it was only an ingrown hair but I am not sure anymore. For the last two days, I have been working sitting for many hours and it became very painful and swollen. I do not know if it is an abscess. Please help.

Dr. John Bocachica

Dermatology
#

Well, I do not know the particulars of your case, it sounds as if you may have what is called a Bartholin’s cyst. This represents inflammation of the glandular structure in the perianal area in women. It is generally benign but can be very painful and uncomfortable.

Try sitting in a warm tub with warm water several times a day or applying warm compresses to the area such as a warm cloth for about 15 minutes and as it may bring down the inflammation. If that does not work then you should probably see a local doctor who has other methods of bringing down the inflammation including the use of antibiotics.

| 

I have an itchy swelling on the inner labia. What could it be?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with my husband a week ago. I felt some pain during sex and after a day I started getting itchy on the inner side of my left inner labia. I tried to rub a cotton swab to check it and there was fresh blood on it. It happens even now, although itching and irritation h...  Read Full »

What could a gradually growing and tender pimple in the vaginal area be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22-year-old female. I got a pimple near my vaginal area; it is growing gradually and is very tender to touch. Can you please tell me what it is? And I am currently taking medicines for typhoid. Please suggest some medication.  Read Full »

Why do I have vaginal tears after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I had rough sex recently and it caused a tear in my vagina. When I use a mirror to examine myself I can see some of the cuts. It is near the entrance of my vaginal canal but not inside, positioned more towards my perineum. It has been healing for two days now and still really hurts. I...  Read Full »