Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I am having infection in one of the supporting teeth of FPD. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Divya Banu M
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 30, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have an accident history which leads to the fixation of FPD in the place of incisors with the support of two adjacent teeth on either side. Recently I got an infection above one of the supporting teeth. RCT has already done on that tooth. I got my x-ray done. I am having a throbbing pain. Currently, I am taking TAXIM OZ (Cefixime 200 mg and Ornidazole 500 mg) one tablet twice a day, Diclomol SP (Diclofenac 50 mg and Serratiopeptidase 10mg) one tablet twice a day and ketorol DT 10 mg (Ketorolac 10 mg) two tablets thrice a day. Kindly suggest.



Welcome to

I have gone through your history and OPG (orthopantomogram). (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

There is a periapical (surrounding apex of tooth root) infection. I could see two radiolucent lines near the upper third and apex of root, which could possibly be the cause of infection. We need to take a periapical radiograph (IOPA) of that particular tooth as OPG is not showing finer details. When was the root canal done? If it was done very recently, then continue with the antibiotics, it will help to eradicate the infection. Do you have swelling? Do you have pain while biting in that tooth? Kindly reduce Ketorolac dosage. You can take one tablet in the morning and one at night. In between for pain, take Paracetamol. But, continue antibiotics. As once the infection subsides, the pain will go off too. If you have acidity, take Pantop (Pantoprazole) 40 mg, once at night 20 minutes to half an hour before taking food.

The Probable causes:

Apical root fracture or caries near the upper third of the root.

Investigations to be done:

IOPA of 12.

Probable diagnosis:

Periapical abscess due to fracture or secondary caries.
Missing 13.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How to manage the painful infected tooth?
All About Gum Abscess
I got an X-ray done for tooth pain and sensitivity. Kindly explain.

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

There is a hole in tooth with pain and swelling. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 45 years old. She got a hole in teeth and she is complaining of a toothache for three days and from yesterday, she developed swelling on the right half of the face. Is this any sort of emergency?  Read Full »

How to find out if I have caries under my tooth restoration?

Query: Hello doctor,I have three first molars that have been filled with amalgam three years ago. I need to know how can I find out if one of them has caries under the restoration because one more first molar was also restored by amalgam, and three years later, I was experiencing some pain. When the doctor...  Read Full »

How to reduce the swelling that occurred due to infected tooth and sinus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got a decayed tooth at the upper backside region. Now, I have got a sinus infection. Can I consult a dentist soon?  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.