Q. I have pericoronitis and swollen lymph nodes. Can I wait until my appointment?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Jul 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2019

I currently have pericoronitis and it has developed over these past two days. The main symptom I noticed was pain and discomfort in my lower right wisdom tooth. The tooth is half in and half out. I scheduled an appointment with my oral surgeon but would like some advice. I noticed yesterday that the lymph node almost behind my jaw on the side of the infected tooth was swollen and painful to touch. Then today, I noticed the lymph node under my chin was extremely large and painful to touch as well. It was not like that yesterday. Because of that, I went into an urgent care and he prescribed me Penicillin and painkillers. I have only taken one Penicillin pill over these past few hours. I started to do more research on the topic and came across multiple reputable websites stating that if you have swollen lymph nodes with pericoronitis to go to the hospital. I am wondering if I need to go this evening or if I can wait until the morning and discuss it with my oral surgeon.

#

Pericoronitis itself is usually painful mainly because of food entrapment between the gums and the half-erupted tooth along with inflammation there.

The swollen and painful lymph nodes are nothing but indications of persistent infection. It does not mean that you have to rush to the hospital in this case. Once the infected tooth is pulled out and the gums heal normally, the lymph nodes get back to normal. The only case when you should be much concerned is that big swelling of the cheek which is visible on the face.

You had mentioned that you had tablet Penicillin and painkillers. This is alright, it helps the infection go down a little bit while you wait for your appointment. But ideally, active dental treatment along with antibiotic coverage would be most helpful. You could as well continue Penicillin for at least five days three times daily and painkillers whenever you have pain.

You can absolutely wait until your appointment for the scheduled extraction.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Why do I have pain in the last lower left tooth region?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from pain in the left lower jaw. I do not have any tooth pain, but the skin surrounding the last tooth is troubling me. Please help.  Read Full »

Are my lymph nodes swollen due to an allergy to fried foods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. I had a fever of 37.8oC on the eighth of last month, which only lasted for a day. But the fever was followed by few symptoms. After the fever, my lymph nodes at the back of my ear were swollen. I also had a sore throat and mouth ulcers. My body felt itchy, and I ...  Read Full »

How to soothe my jaw and throat pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a lump on the back side of lower gums. It is only on the left side. It is causing ridiculous amounts of pain when chewing and swallowing. It is causing discomfort down the side of my jaw and throat. Also, I have some swelling on that side. I have an appointment with my dentist. But...  Read Full »