Q. One of my tonsils is bigger than the other. Why?

Dr. Nishant
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 21, 2021

I am a 19-year-old female. I do not drink alcohol or smoke. One of my tonsils remains bigger than the other. I noticed it especially after getting an infection on one of my wisdom tooth and I started to have sore throat. My infected tooth was present on the left side but I have tonsil enlargement on the right side. I cannot tell whether it is red or painful. I feel like I had this before having my wisdom tooth infection and I do not have any other symptoms. I noticed a blood blister on my cheek. But I am not sure whether they are related. I do not have any bumps on my neck or throat. I took Amoxycillin and Flagyl for my wisdom tooth infection present before three months.

#

I can understand your concern. One of the tonsils remains larger than the other. I do not think that this is an issue at this moment. Sore throat occurs due to wisdom tooth infection and you are taking the right treatment. Your tonsil does not hurt and you do not know whether it remains red or yellow due to pus. I suggest you ignore the size of the tonsil for a time being. Most probably, it will go away on its own. Even if it does not occur, there is nothing to be worried about as it is not giving any trouble in swallowing with pain. Have a follow-up when tooth infection occurs again or if your tonsil becomes red or yellow or painful.

Have a follow-up when your tonsil causes pain or becomes red.

|