I have been experiencing light periods, hot flashes, and bloating for the past year. Can my current medications cure my perimenopausal symptoms?

Q. Can Norethisterone and Serelys tablets help cure perimenopausal symptoms in a 52-year-old female?

Answered by
Dr. Uzma Arqam
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2023 and last reviewed on: Mar 24, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am a 52-year-old female. I have had very light periods three times in the past year. The last one has been on and off over the past five days. I have very little blood loss and mild pain. I have just started taking DIM 250 mg capsules. I suffer from hot flashes, headaches, bloating, etc. I have been taking Norethisterone tablets and Serelys tablets, so would these help with perimenopause symptoms? I have also been taking vitamin B tablets for fatigue.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for your query.

You are in menopausal age. The average age of menopause is 51 years and you may have perimenopausal symptoms like hot flashes, absence of menses, joint pain, etc. I suggest you to follow a few instructions mentioned below.

  1. You can have vitamin B complex as it is really helpful.
  2. You can have evening primrose oil capsules that help delay aging.
  3. Daily walking, yoga, and exercises help in maintaining proper joint function.
  4. Have a healthy diet.
  5. Norethisterone is a progesterone-only pill that when taken cyclically will give you withdrawal bleeding.
  6. If evening primrose oil does not work then you can have hormonal replacement therapy.
  7. Do not take hormonal replacement therapy for a long time as it can give side effects like breast cancer, endometrial cancer, etc.
  8. You can have cyclic short-term hormonal replacement therapy as it is better to have it for a short duration cyclically and recurrently.
  9. With time you might have delayed and scanty periods and may be absent for a few months first and then could stop.
  10. You should have a complete checkup for your medical issues and regular follow-ups.
  11. For now, you can try vitamin B complex and evening primrose oil and after menopause, you can have hormonal support in case of extreme symptoms. If symptoms aggravate you can have a follow-up after two to four months.

Kindly consult a specialist, talk to them, and take medications with their consent.

I hope this has helped you.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What is the chance of pregnancy as I had lighter periods after taking Unwanted-72?

.. your concern. Menstrual irregularities, in your case, could be due to hormonal imbalance caused by an I-pill. You have taken I-pill a little late for time, but as menses resumed, there is almost no chance of pregnancy in your case.   Read full

How do I know if I have perimenopause or menopause?

Hello doctor, I have had irregular periods for the past year ... My last period was four months back and lasted for around 20 days ...   Read full

Why would a 39-year-old woman start experiencing hot flashes?

.. read your query and understand your concern. Post hysterectomy ( if done with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy ) at the age of 39 can trigger a different medical issue( if you have a family history of other health problems and risks )and can have menop   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.