Q. How do I know if I have perimenopause or menopause?

Dr. Monica Mathur

I have had irregular periods for the past year. My last period was four months back and lasted for around 20 days. Recently, I had a scan and blood tests done which indicated early menopause. My Prolactin is 7.8 ng/mL, and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is at 4.8 mIU/L. I take tablet Thyronorm (Thyroxine) 25 mcg. I have also attached a prescription for my other medications. Please suggest, and if it is early menopause, does it mean I will age earlier and faster and start looking older than my age? Please advise the needful.

#

Usually, menopause is considered to have occurred when you have had an absence of your menses for the last six months. As six months have not passed yet, it is difficult for me to say that you are having menopause. But definitely, you are in the perimenopause (around menopause) state. However, since you are taking Thyronorm tablet, even thyroid disorder can cause irregular periods. Menopause typically starts after 45 to 50 years of age. I suggest you take plenty of fruits and vegetables and avoid getting constipated.

Feel better soon.

Thank you so much for helping me.

I hope you went through my scan and blood report that I have attached. My LH (luteinizing hormone) is 38.4 IU/L, and FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) is 84 IU/L. Could it be due to early menopause? If I do not get my periods for six months, as it has already been four months, will it have any long-term effects on me? Kindly advise me about the same.

#

Welcome back to icliniq com.

Your LH (luteinizing hormone) and FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) levels are in the range of menopause. This is not early; as I have told you earlier, menopause sets between 45 to 50 years. I recommend you have a good nutritious diet, exercise for 30 minutes, either walking or yoga, and do meditation to relieve stress. This will help you to cope with the side effects of menopause.

Feel better soon.

|