Q. Is there any treatment other than hormonal pills for perimenopause symptoms?

Dr. Nadia Khan

I am a 46-year-old female who is dealing with perimenopause symptoms. My Ob-gyn has recommended taking low dose of birth control pills to relieve my symptoms. However, I am at a higher risk for breast cancer because my late mother (who died in an auto accident) was a breast cancer survivor and am not crazy about a course of treatment will fiddle with my hormones. Are there any treatments that do not involve hormones?

#

That is really sad to hear about your mother but I would like to add into your information that evidence suggests that HRT does not significantly increase the risk of breast cancer. It is only contraindicated if the person taking HRT has breast cancer already. Secondly, yes other options (SSRI, SNRI, Clonidine, Primrose oil, Black cohosh, Red clover, etc.) are available for menopausal symptoms. But the choice of the treatment option depends on your symptoms.

Many over-the-counter drugs like evening Primrose oil, etc., are available which are helpful to many women in relieving their symptoms. Another way is the choice of route of administration of hormones like pills, skin patches, vaginal rings, etc. These again depend on your symptoms and your overall medical fitness. Hope this information has given you a brief idea regarding options for your query.

|