Periodontal Pockets

Can fixed retainers be worn during scaling and root planing treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I have just been told that I have gum disease and 3 mm to 6 mm pockets. And, my wisdom teeth have 8 mm pocket. I have braces on now and I am due to have them off next month. I need to get scaling and root planing treatment to treat my gum problems. Can I still wear a fixed retainer? I r...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can wear your fixed retainer without any problem. Also, you have to make sure that you use your removable retainer also for the next two to three years without any break. When you have periodontal problems, there is a high chance of spaces opening up between teet...  Read Full »

What causes black cracks in teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, While looking at my teeth the other day, I noticed what looked like cracks in my molar teeth  (2nd from the back) on either side. Recently, I went to the dentist for a cleaning and also was complaining about sensitive teeth to both hot and cold. On both these teeth, I have a bit of ...  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all thank God that you met a good endodontist who diagnosed the right problem. Secondly, through all your case history it is evident that you are having a chronic habit of clenching your jaws that is called 'bruxism' in medical terms. What happens in it is, due t...  Read Full »

Is chewing toothpicks bad for you?

Query: Hello doctor, Are birchwood toothpicks hard enough to cause damage to tooth enamel? Do they cause damage to the teeth in any way? I have pored over the internet for the answer to this question, with many dentists recommending that toothpicks should not be used or chewed on, or saying that it can cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We use toothpicks in the anatomical spaces present between the teeth. The spaces are called as embrasures. While you use the toothpick, you lacerate the gingival tissue that covers those spaces (the cone-shaped gingiva present between the teeth) that results in the cr...  Read Full »

Would braces close wide gap between front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a wide gap between front teeth that was due to short upper and lower frenulums, which were removed nine years back. I also treated for periodontal disease as a result of these gaps. Now I have recessions (pockets), exposed root of that front tooth and also it is deviated. Do I n...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to get root canal treatment for the upper and lower central teeth then placement of a fixed partial denture (FPD ceramic crowns) on them to close the space. This will give a permanent solution to your problem. It will give you a much better esthetic solution. Kin...  Read Full »

I have a swelling on gums and it bleeds when I touch. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I woke up this morning with this dried up blood in between my upper front teeth and blood comes out when I touch it. It does not hurt, and when I brush my teeth, I can see it move. I have not noticed any changes in my gums or teeth. My gums usually bleed when the bristles of my toothbrush...  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the images attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like there is a deep infection in the gums in that localized area and there can also be periodontal pocket formation. As you also bleeding on brushing, it further indicates towar...  Read Full »

Shall I try oil pulling for gum pockets?

Query: Hi doctor, I was reading about oil pulling and wondered if I try it to cure my 6 mm gum pockets. If it could possibly clean the top of the gum pockets, then will the bacteria and tartar in the bottom worse the problem in the future? I have gum pockets of around 4 mm to 6 mm and an odd one with 9 mm....  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Oil pulling is an ayurveda method that removes toxins from the oral cavity and reduces the chances of plaque formation. Although, there are no confirmed reports. However, oil pulling cannot remove existing plaque and tartar especially that is deeper into gums that ultimat...  Read Full »

How to maintain my gingiva without recession?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cut my gumline due to brushing too hard. I have a slight recession on my gum. I am taking good care of my teeth. But I am panic. There is no bleeding and pain present. I used a water pick to clean it. I visited a dentist before four months.  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have a pathological pocket or a healed pathological pocket. The gum recedes due to the pocket or due to faulty brushing technique. I recommend you get...  Read Full »

How can I get the stuck food out of a pocket between molars?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a spot that I think may be considered a pocket or may just be a spot between my molars where I get food stuck. I have had problems with inflammation from food getting stuck in there. I got a Waterpik and the tool worked like a charm. So I am in a pinch now. I am traveling and I lost...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Banu M

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, such food lodgements are quite irritating. If the gap is narrow, you can use floss. But, I guess you have a wide gap. For that, you can use interdental brushes (available in different sizes in a single pack - looks like miniature bottle brushes). You just have ...  Read Full »

How can I avoid developing a superbug in my mouth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 62-year-old female with a history of chronic periodontal disease, particularly involving a pocket between teeth #7 and #8, which is associated with some bone loss and becomes infected every few months. I take fastidious care of my teeth and gums, including flossing, using a pro...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The antibiotic resistance is not a big issue as such, but I would suggest to not apply antibiotic gel more than two weeks with one or two months gap in between. Using warm salt water gargle twice a day is more than enough for good hygiene of gums. Root canal treatment ...  Read Full »