Q. I have bleeding gums, bad breath and black discoloration on the root of the teeth. Please help.

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 27, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 19, 2021

I have bleeding gums, bad breath, and black discoloration on the root of the teeth. How can I get healthy teeth and gums?

#

I have gone through your query and the attached picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

Gum bleeding and bad breath is a sign of gum condition called gingivitis. Gingivitis is the inflammation of the gums caused due to constant irritation by tartar or calculus (hardened yellow and black deposits on the teeth).

Food deposits or plaque that settles on the tooth get calcified in the long run and become a hardened calculus deposit. Constantly irritated gums become weak and start to bleed when we brush.

A professional scaling and polishing procedure is done to remove that calculus. Once removed, the gums take a day to heal, and the gum bleeding will stop the next morning. Please visit your dentist and get this procedure done. This procedure can be done once in six months if required.

Although we do a proper brushing every day, there are certain spots between teeth where the bristles fail to reach. Hence a professional tooth cleaning is always advised once in a while. Certain brushing techniques can be followed to prevent this calculus accumulation. Get to know that from your dentist.

Further queries, I will be happy to help.

Good day.

Generalized marginal gingivitis.

Complete scaling and polishing.

1. Mouth rinsing after every meal.
2. Night brushing.

|