Q. My fingers are numb and my feet have a burning sensation. What could it be?

Answered by Dr. Nazma Parveen and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Peripheral Neuropathy or Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 19-year-old male. A week ago my thumb became numb below the fingernail. It was numb for two days and this went away. Now my left middle finger and the ring finger are numb and my right thumb feels sore. I also have a burning sensation in the feet, sometimes it feels like there is water or ice on my feet. My right knee feels stiff and then I switch to my left knee. My doctor looked confused and said it was all anxiety. Really, I do not think so. Could this be an early sign of diabetes?