Q. My fingers are numb and my feet have a burning sensation. What could it be?

Dr. Nazma Parveen

I am a 19-year-old male. A week ago my thumb became numb below the fingernail. It was numb for two days and this went away. Now my left middle finger and the ring finger are numb and my right thumb feels sore. I also have a burning sensation in the feet, sometimes it feels like there is water or ice on my feet. My right knee feels stiff and then I switch to my left knee. My doctor looked confused and said it was all anxiety. Really, I do not think so. Could this be an early sign of diabetes?

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have read through your question and I would like to tell you that peripheral neuropathy can happen in a patient with diabetes which does present in the form of burning sensation in the feet and neuropathic pain.

At your age, type 1 diabetes that is insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus is more common. It can be diagnosed by a blood sugar profile.

I would advise you to get an ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), RF (rheumatoid factor), and CRP (C-reactive protein) done to diagnose the cause of the stiffness.

If these tests come clear then most likely it a neuropathic pain caused due to a nerve compression for which we may need to get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging).

In the meanwhile, I suggest you can start taking tablet Neurobion Forte (multivitamin supplement) and let me know if you feel any improvement. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|