Q. The monocytes and ESR values in my wife's hemogram report are abnormal. Why?

Dr. Rahul Rathee
Published on May 28, 2017

Me and my wife got an annual blood test done. Few of my wife's results are off the radar. She is 30 years old, and she had a mild cough when the tests were done. She becomes tired very easily. In the attached hemogram report, her monocytes are 0 and ESR is 80. Rest of the tests including thyroid, liver function tests, ECG, and lipid profile seem to be normal. Is this a cause for concern?

Dr. Rahul Rathee

#

I can understand your concern, but after a detailed evaluation of your wife's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I would say there is nothing to worry.

• Only monocytes levels are low, it does not mean much. It does not cause anything serious if the other counts are within the normal range, which is, in fact, your wife's case.
  • ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is a very non-specific test and is not of much significance. However, it is still done routinely to rule out tuberculosis along with some other tests.
  • I would advise you, obviously just as a precautionary measure and not as a matter of concern, is to get the following tests done to rule out tuberculosis:
  1. Sputum examination for AFB (acid-fast bacillus).
  2. CT scan of the chest.
  3. Mantoux test.

As soon as you get the reports, please send it to me for evaluation. Do not worry and take care.

Revert with more information to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

There is a neck swelling and Mantoux test shows 15 mm raised surface. Is it TB?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has gone for the Mantoux test and the report stated 15 mm raised surface. There is a swelling on the left side of the neck near the shoulder. Firstly we went to a homeopath because we thought that it is a stone. After 3 to 4 days it started paining after that we went to the ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and here is my advise. The swelling could be due to infective enlarged lymph nodes, reactive node enlargement or tuberculosis. You cannot rely on the Mantoux test. It is not the test for tuberculosis. To confirm tuberculosis and to rule out th...  Read Full

How to proceed with my chronic dry cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am suffering from cough for almost a month and my abdomen is paining badly due to cough. The cough gets so severe and I end up vomiting, be it early morning or night. I consulted the doctor and was diagnosed with chronic cough. I followed the medicine and it o...  Read Full >>

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic cough for more than three weeks needs evaluation. I would recommend to check CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), Mantoux test, chest x-ray, ECG and serum creatinine levels. Chronic GERD - gastroesophageal acid reflux symptoms...  Read Full

I have suffered with tuberculosis(Koch's disease)last year. Now I am getting the same disease back.

Query: Hi, I was suffering from tuberculosis (Koch's disease) a year back which got cured. And now I think, I am getting the same disease back. What should I do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Rohit Jain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am not sure what makes you think you are getting the disease back. It needs a medical examination to prove if you are right in your fear.  But if that is the case, then it can be dangerous, as subsequent TB infections are mostly resistant to medicines and then it becom...  Read Full