Q. The monocytes and ESR values in my wife's hemogram report are abnormal. Why?

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Me and my wife got an annual blood test done. Few of my wife's results are off the radar. She is 30 years old, and she had a mild cough when the tests were done. She becomes tired very easily. In the attached hemogram report, her monocytes are 0 and ESR is 80. Rest of the tests including thyroid, liver function tests, ECG, and lipid profile seem to be normal. Is this a cause for concern?

Dr. Rahul Rathee

#

I can understand your concern, but after a detailed evaluation of your wife's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I would say there is nothing to worry.

• Only monocytes levels are low, it does not mean much. It does not cause anything serious if the other counts are within the normal range, which is, in fact, your wife's case.
  • ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is a very non-specific test and is not of much significance. However, it is still done routinely to rule out tuberculosis along with some other tests.
  • I would advise you, obviously just as a precautionary measure and not as a matter of concern, is to get the following tests done to rule out tuberculosis:
  1. Sputum examination for AFB (acid-fast bacillus).
  2. CT scan of the chest.
  3. Mantoux test.

As soon as you get the reports, please send it to me for evaluation. Do not worry and take care.

Revert with more information to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

There is a neck swelling and Mantoux test shows 15 mm raised surface. Is it TB?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has gone for the Mantoux test and the report stated 15 mm raised surface. There is a swelling on the left side of the neck near the shoulder. Firstly we went to a homeopath because we thought that it is a stone. After 3 to 4 days it started paining after that we went to the ...  Read Full »

How to proceed with my chronic dry cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am suffering from cough for almost a month and my abdomen is paining badly due to cough. The cough gets so severe and I end up vomiting, be it early morning or night. I consulted the doctor and was diagnosed with chronic cough. I followed the medicine and it o...  Read Full »

I have suffered with tuberculosis(Koch's disease)last year. Now I am getting the same disease back.

Query: Hi, I was suffering from tuberculosis (Koch's disease) a year back which got cured. And now I think, I am getting the same disease back. What should I do?  Read Full »