Q. My blood report shows ESR count 34 and Hb 10. 9. Is there any problem?

Published on Jul 17, 2018

Two months back blood report shows ESR count is 34. And Hb 10.9. I also have fever fluctuating and have lost weight drastically around 4 kg in a few months. Can you please help and tell me what is the problem?

Hematology Pathology
#

For low hemoglobin further workup needed in form of peripheral smear examination, serum ferritin estimation, and serum TIBC (total iron binding capacity) estimation to classify your anemia. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) can be high because of any non-specific inflammation or infection like condition. It indicates some pathology is there but do not give an exact diagnosis.

You are losing weight hence history should be taken regarding a cough and chest X-ray done to look for any respiratory pathology of present especially tuberculosis. Second, if suspected then rule out HIV by ELISA fourth generation. Sometimes, over-exertion and less nutrition or prolonged fasting also can lead to weight loss. But as you are having on and off fever I will advise you to consult a physician for your physical examination including liver, spleen and lymph nodes palpation. If a specific cause is found, then treated accordingly.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Is Gum Inflammation a Curable Problem?

Article Overview: The medical terminology for inflamed gums is 'gingivitis'. It is one of the most common oral health concerns faced by each of us. This article talks about the causes and cure for gingivitis. Read Article

Gingivitis refers to inflammation of the gums. Gums (or gingiva) along with the bones and ligaments form the supporting structure of the teeth. Once they get swollen, there is redness, puffiness, and bleeding of gums. But, in most cases, it is treatable and reversible. When left untreated, it can l...  Read Article

Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for my hepatitis B?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with hepatitis B about a year and a half ago. Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for it? Are there any antiviral prescriptions for me? The associated symptoms are extreme fatigue and dizziness.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have been diagnosed with hepatitis B around one and a half years ago. Now, you have to repeat HBsAg, ELISA testing to check whether you are HBsAg positive. If still HBsAg is positive, then you can be a carrier of it. Further tests need to be done as follows: ...  Read Full

What could be the reason for recurrent fever with high ESR and CRP levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting a fever every day. But, every day the fever occurs and goes to a maximum of 100 degrees, and it gets back to the body temperature without any medications. It is repetitive. I have done a few blood tests and am attaching the reports. I have found out that my CRP and ESR is ver...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is likely a viral fever only as it settles within four to five days. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein) are usually elevated due to viral fever or any other fever. As it gets recovered within four to five days without any antibiotics, ...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now