Q. Is it safe to fast if I have type 1 diabetes?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Jun 16, 2018

I have diabetes type 1. My age is 18 years and I am taking Mixtard insulin twice a day. In the morning, I inject 14 units and in the evening I inject 6 units. I want to fast for religious purposes. Can I?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

The patients with type 1 diabetes are advised not to fast. However, if you are healthy and having a good blood sugar control, then you can reverse the dose of insulin as in, take the night dose in the morning and morning dose at night and fast.

Be prepared for breaking your fast if your sugar falls below 70 mg/dL or above 300 mg/dL. No need for vigorous exercise.

Hope you find my advice beneficial.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

My husband had five episodes of hypoglycemia in a single day. What could be causing all these?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband has type 1 diabetes. He has had no Insulin today but has had five hypos today, and his sugar levels are dropping again. He had his regular food all day, drank juice and cans of coke. He has not done anything different to any other day and also has not been stressed either. He t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How long has he had diabetes? When you say hypo, what were his sugars? What is the dose of insulin that he is taking? Revert with the details to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist  Read Full

My fingers are numb and my feet have a burning sensation. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old male. A week ago my thumb became numb below the fingernail. It was numb for two days and this went away. Now my left middle finger and the ring finger are numb and my right thumb feels sore. I also have a burning sensation in the feet, sometimes it feels like t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your question and I would like to tell you that peripheral neuropathy can happen in a patient with diabetes which does present in the form of burning sensation in the feet and neuropathic pain. At your age, type 1 diabetes that is insulin-depende...  Read Full

Why is there bleeding after five days of taking an i-pill?

Query: Hello doctor, I took an i-pill eight days before my menstrual period was due and after five days of taking it, I started bleeding. The bleeding lasted for three to four days with light spotting towards the end. But, now I have again started to bleed much ahead of my menstrual period. This does not...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana Kaur Khurana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Get one gynecologic ultrasound and a routine urine exam done to rule out the cause. Most likely, the symptoms are because of hormonal imbalance because of the i-pill. I suggest you start a combination of the Tranexamic acid with Mefenamic acid 500 mg two ...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now