Q. Is it safe to fast if I have type 1 diabetes?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I have diabetes type 1. My age is 18 years and I am taking Mixtard insulin twice a day. In the morning, I inject 14 units and in the evening I inject 6 units. I want to fast for religious purposes. Can I?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

The patients with type 1 diabetes are advised not to fast. However, if you are healthy and having a good blood sugar control, then you can reverse the dose of insulin as in, take the night dose in the morning and morning dose at night and fast.

Be prepared for breaking your fast if your sugar falls below 70 mg/dL or above 300 mg/dL. No need for vigorous exercise.

Hope you find my advice beneficial.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|