Q. What is the chance of multiple sclerosis in pars planitis?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Published on May 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have had burning sensations on my skin since 14 years. I am also very much sensitive to touch, which feels like my entire body is bruised all over. It is so hard to explain, but that is the best way I can put it into words. I feel inflamed all over at times. I had a brain MRI before 20 years after being diagnosed with tinnitus and it was cleared. Following that I had a C-spine MRI thrice in the next three years and everything was normal. I had another brain MRI last year and radiologist noted several small spots in the periventricular and subcortical areas consistent with small vessel ischemic changes. The neurologist said he did not see anything on the MRI films whatsoever. So, I was left in limbo once again. I still have that radiologist report that shows spots on my brain that haunts me. Giving all the MRIs through the years and the fact that my symptoms have basically remained the same (sensory). What are the chances of this being MS without showing actual lesions that resemble MS? I also was diagnosed with pars planitis before 20 years, which is linked to MS in small percentage. That, of course, is what has scared me about my skin sensations. They usually come and go. This time I have been dealing with them since four months. This is really hard to deal with. Thank you.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read your question with care and understand your concerns. Let me explain some basics.

• Multiple sclerosis is found only in around 10% to 15% of people with pars planitis (eye inflammatory disease).
  • It means that if 10 people have pars planitis then one of them will have multiple sclerosis. This also means that if 10 people have pars planitis, 9 will not have multiple sclerosis. So, be happy and cheerful.
  • Multiple sclerosis, commonly presents with,
  1. Bladder problems which are seen in 70% to 80% of people with multiple sclerosis (MS).
  2. Cognitive impairments occur in about 40 to 60 percent of patients with multiple sclerosis.
  3. Emotional symptoms.
  4. Fatigue is very common and disabling in MS.
  5. Gaze Problems.
  6. Vision Problems. 
  • Pain alone is rarely reported in multiple sclerosis.
  • Your predominant complaint is pain and burning sensation on your skin. This is more likely due to peripheral sensory neuropathy rather than due to multiple sclerosis.
  • This can be controlled by vitamin B complex, vitamin C and drugs like Pregabalin, Gabapentin, etc.
  • If you undergo a test called nerve conduction study, then the diagnosis can be clinched with certainty and we can start correct treatment immediately.

Nerve conduction studies.

Revert back with the report to a neurologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I have multiple sclerosis. Can I get artificial valve for urinary incontinence?

Query: Hi doctor, I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. I am a 37 year old male. My weight is 165 pounds and height is 6 feet. My neurologist is treating my MS with two rounds of Rituximab infusions (low dose chemotherapy) every six months and a twice-daily dose of an Ampyra capsule. I also take...  Read Full »

What causes a burning sensation in the right thigh near groin?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a low grade burning sensation in the upper thigh on the right side, near the groin. I have the same burning sensation in the left arm, below the shoulder to forearm. I have heaviness in my legs with a sharp pain in the feet. It got started after taking Ativan. This burning is pret...  Read Full »