Q. Why is my tonsil swelling persisting for more than a month?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
Published on Sep 27, 2016

My tonsils have been swollen for almost an entire month. I have had two normal appointments for it and I am scheduled for a visit with an ENT doctor after four days. Today, my throat pain is more than it has been in the past few days and my left tonsil is significantly bigger than my right. In addition to that, I have a swollen axillary lymph node and that is what I am assuming it is. The axillary lymph node swelling was very sudden. I have had on and off fever. I came back positive for Strep group C, but I went through an entire script of antibiotics and the doctor said it should have cleared immediately. Mononucleosis tests also came back negative. I am no longer on Cephalexin, which is what they had originally put me on. Please help.

Dr. Eriol Braholli

General Medicine General Surgery Internal Medicine
#

It is obvious that your tonsil infection is not gone. Perhaps, it has been more complicated now since pain and fever is up and lymphadenopathy is shown.

Retro or peritonsillar abscesses are the complications of untreated tonsillitis that may require specific treatment and intervention. So, if you are planning an appointment with the ENT specialist, then please do it sooner.

You will need examinations and imaging to be done. Otherwise, you have to start antibiotics immediately. Select an antibiotic, which has come sensible in your throat secretion test.

Augmentin (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate) should be used as a first choice, if streptococcus is sensible. If not, go for Clarithromycin or Ceftriaxone.

Use anti-inflammatory drugs for the pain, fever and inflammation such as Ibuprofen for every six hours. Propolis sprays and similar ones will help you with the throat discomfort. Your doctor may add Cortisone in your therapy and it should be started only with his advice.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I have throat pain. What do I do?

Query: Hi, My age is 29 years. Yesterday I drank ice cold water in the afternoon. Since today morning I am feeling pain in the throat, body pain and laziness. Please suggest medicine for the same.  Read Full »

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

Why does my throat hurt after singing?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a new singer. Last week, I sang a lengthy song without warm up. In the evening, I had severe throat pain. I gave voice rest, but still I have some sensitivity in my throat. I feel quite tired always. Is this because of vocal strain? I also have tonsils. My throat feels uncomfortable...  Read Full »