Q. My father has persistent cough. He is unable to eat or sleep. Is it cancer?

Dr. Akshay Upadhyay
Published on Jul 15, 2017

My 62 year old father has a cough since one month. It is a nagging cough which started after a fever. It is mostly dry, except for a colorless mucus which comes out sometimes. His CBC, blood test and chest X-ray were done last month and all were normal. He is right now on mild antibiotics and nebulizations. But, the cough still persists. He is unable to sleep and eat properly. He is taking medications for acidity and high BP. The doctor has advised him to repeat CBC and ESR this week. I am worried if it could be cancer.

Dr. Akshay Upadhyay

#

• Firstly, I would like to know if he smokes cigarettes or used to smoke before, or if there is a history of tuberculosis. Secondly, does he have a history of asthma?
  • I do not think it could be cancer. Just do a complete blood count, X-ray, and an ECG and review with your physician.
  • Until then he can continue nebulization and his regular medications.

Hope this information was helpful to you.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for replying. No, he does not smoke and has never smoked before. He has no history of asthma or TB. He had done CBC and chest X-ray last month and it was fine. But, the doctor told him to get it done again this week.

Dr. Akshay Upadhyay

#

• I would say, it is an infection which is causing the cough. So, it would be beneficial to repeat the tests and help diagnose the actual problem. Sometimes, there could be a reinfection post illness and that could be one of the cause.
  • Repeat the tests and follow up with a chest and pulmonary specialist.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have suffered with tuberculosis(Koch's disease)last year. Now I am getting the same disease back.

Query: Hi, I was suffering from tuberculosis (Koch's disease) a year back which got cured. And now I think, I am getting the same disease back. What should I do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Rohit Jain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am not sure what makes you think you are getting the disease back. It needs a medical examination to prove if you are right in your fear.  But if that is the case, then it can be dangerous, as subsequent TB infections are mostly resistant to medicines and then it becom...  Read Full

Can allergic asthma turn into permanent asthma?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old now. I have allergic asthma for last 6 to 7 years but in very mild form (mild suffocation and coughing for 2 to 3 days, once in three months). It used to get triggered by an old house (old book or newspaper dust) or distemper and paints or orange flavored drinks. But s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kartik Sood
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your symptoms, you are suffering from bronchial asthma with allergic rhinitis, but you need to confirm this by doing a spirometry with reversibility test. Asthma is a disease related to hypersensitivity of our respiratory system to some allergens which cause tri...  Read Full

From the attached reports, please tell me the reason for frequent urination.

Query: Hello doctor, From the past few days, I have frequent urination. I am attaching all the test reports that I have done so far. I also got an x-ray and CT scan of the chest, but as I am out, I cannot upload them now. I will upload them later if you need it.  Read Full >>

Dr. Krishna Somani
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Only the CBC (complete blood count) and HbA1c reports are available. Please send all reports that are relevant to your complaint. Revert with more information to a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist  Read Full