Q. My father has persistent cough. He is unable to eat or sleep. Is it cancer?

Dr. Akshay Upadhyay

My 62 year old father has a cough since one month. It is a nagging cough which started after a fever. It is mostly dry, except for a colorless mucus which comes out sometimes. His CBC, blood test and chest X-ray were done last month and all were normal. He is right now on mild antibiotics and nebulizations. But, the cough still persists. He is unable to sleep and eat properly. He is taking medications for acidity and high BP. The doctor has advised him to repeat CBC and ESR this week. I am worried if it could be cancer.

#

• Firstly, I would like to know if he smokes cigarettes or used to smoke before, or if there is a history of tuberculosis. Secondly, does he have a history of asthma?
  • I do not think it could be cancer. Just do a complete blood count, X-ray, and an ECG and review with your physician.
  • Until then he can continue nebulization and his regular medications.

Hope this information was helpful to you.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for replying. No, he does not smoke and has never smoked before. He has no history of asthma or TB. He had done CBC and chest X-ray last month and it was fine. But, the doctor told him to get it done again this week.

#

• I would say, it is an infection which is causing the cough. So, it would be beneficial to repeat the tests and help diagnose the actual problem. Sometimes, there could be a reinfection post illness and that could be one of the cause.
  • Repeat the tests and follow up with a chest and pulmonary specialist.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|