Q. Does PET scan showing metabolic activity brain appearing metastatic mean cancer?

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah
Published on Jan 14, 2020

The PET scan report says that the metabolic activity brain appears metastatic. Does this confirm that the patient has advance cancer?

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncology
#

Revert with more details. I need also pathological and treatment details. Usually, if brain is involved with multiple lesions, it is considered advanced malignancy.

| 

Thank you so much for your reply. I am attaching pictures of the report. Kindly suggest.

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncology
#

PET scan report is showing advanced disease (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks disseminated (wide spread) malignancy. Can you send me the biopsy report? If you provide me more details regarding previous treatment I can suggest you more advice regarding treatment.

smoking

| 

I have just came to know about the disease, the doctors have said that they will perfom chemotherapy. Can this be cured?

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncology
#

No doctor can start chemotherapy without biopsy, they must take a biopsy from lung mass or any other accessible site. It is mandatory to confirm the diagnosis and to know the type and origin of the tumor. Because different tumors have different prognosis and management plan. Usually PET scan should be done after biopsy.

| 

They must have taken biopsy but I do not have that with me right now. They said that after seeing the reports they will perform chemo. How dangerous is the disease? Is this is out of control and dangerous for life in near future?

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncology
#

If you can provide me the biopsy report, I will be in a position to tell you about the prognosis and outcome of this disease. PET scan is showing that his disease is widespread. So if biopsy is positive for malignancy. That means it is last stage of cancer. But biopsy confirmation is mandatory.

| 

To identify the stage of cancer, is a PET scan necessary?

Query: Hi doctor, My query is regarding my relative who is suffering from carcinoma of cervix. I would kindly request you to advise us regarding the stage of cancer based on the biopsy, MRI and CT scan report which I have attached here for your reference. In her MRI report, there is a feature suggestive of...  Read Full »

Is whole body PET scan required to check the spread of tongue cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 65 years old and in excellent health. He is a diabetic and also has BP. But, his sugar levels and BP are very much in control. He is taking oral medication for both diabetes and BP. He is taking Telvas 20 mg for BP, Gluconorm for diabetes and taking thyroid medication for hyp...  Read Full »

Cancer in Pregnancy: a Multifaceted dilemma

Article Overview: The incidence of cancer being diagnosed during pregnancy has increased because of delayed child-bearing age, advanced imaging techniques during antenatal care, and the known occurrence of age-dependent malignancies. Read Article

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Cancer, as of now, is considered to be a disease of lifestyle and majority of cancers occur in middle and late age. With the postponement of marriage and childbearing to late thirties, it is not surprising, that number of women diagnosed with pregnancy and concomitant cancer is increasing. Further, ...  Read Article

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now