Q. I got flu-like symptoms for two months in a row. What to do?

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

I am a 20 year old male, who weighs 175 lbs and I am 5.11 feet tall. I had flu-like symptoms last month, which lasted for about three days. And I just had flu-like symptoms again this month. It started three days back, and it is not as severe as the first time. First time I had a fever, chills, headaches, pain and sore throat. The symptoms this month started with a sore throat, then I got a fever of 101 F, followed by a headache and back pain.

Do you have a question on Pharyngitis or Antibiotics?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

MBBS
Family Physician General Practitioner

I have gone through your query, and I can understand your concerns.

The symptoms you have mentioned are suggestive of pharyngitis (a sore throat) along with a common cold. You do not need to worry regarding this as it is highly curable and complications are rare.

I suggest you consult a general practitioner and get the following things done.

1. Start a short course of antibiotics for five to seven days.
  2. Do warm saline gargling.
  3. Antihistamines and nasal decongestants for symptomatic relief.
  4. For fever and pain, you can use Paracetamol.
  5. Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

I have sore throat from two years. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor,I have a bad case of sore throat. It has been two years since I have a sore throat. I regularly gargle with hot water or diluted Betadine gargles (Povidone-iodine solution ), but there is no effect. Rather, it has gotten worse.  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are a chronic patient of pharyngeal infection, we have to rule out all possible causes one by one with a thorough examination and necessary investigations. You should go for the following investigations. CT paranasal sinuses. Culture and sensitivity of throa...  Read Full »

What to do if strep test is positive, but my symptoms are like viral?
Query: Hi doctor, During my travel I had a sore throat, 102 degree fever and back aches. I did not have a stuffy nose or congestion. I previously had bladder infection three weeks ago and the doctor whom I visited in that place prescribed me Levofloxacin. I think he was treating me for a kidney infection, ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Strep pharyngitis is usually graded by modified center criteria. I do not have all the elements to plug in the numbers. Classically, you should have fever, exudates on the tonsils and posterior pharynx, cervical lymph node enlargement and absence of cough. Your posi...  Read Full »

Are cold with chest pain and fatigue symptoms of pneumonia?
Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I have a cold with chest pain, fatigue and difficulty breathing for three days up till now, without physically consulting a doctor. I have had pneumonia last year and I am afraid that I might get again as I am starting to show some symptoms of pneumonia. Sh...  Read Full »
Dr. Magesh T
General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Just saw your letter that you been having a difficulty breathing and you are concerned about pneumonia. I would like to get some more information in terms of fever, difficulty breathing, bringing up sputum. Is it yellow color or white color. If you are having all the sy...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now