Q. What is the white furry looking stuff behind my tonsils?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2020

I am a 21 year old female, and I thought I had strep throat. I went to the doctor to get a rapid strep test, but it came back negative. I then got a throat culture done, which I have not received. I have white furry looking stuff behind my tonsils. My throat was sore for three days, and my body ached everywhere. I think my last hope is tonsillitis or mononucleosis. I have attached few pictures of my throat.

#

I went through your post and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You have a short history of sore throat and muscle pain, and your images show exudative pharyngitis. The most common reason is a viral infection, which will explain the sore throat and myalgias.

Infectious mononucleosis is less likely because it is associated with cervical lymphadenopathy and other symptoms like pain in the right hypochondrium due to enlarged spleen.

I think you have an influenza viral infection, and it will settle in a week to 10 days. There is no reason to worry.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|