Q. What is the white furry looking stuff behind my tonsils?

Published on Jul 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2019

I am a 21 year old female, and I thought I had strep throat. I went to the doctor to get a rapid strep test, but it came back negative. I then got a throat culture done, which I have not received. I have white furry looking stuff behind my tonsils. My throat was sore for three days, and my body ached everywhere. I think my last hope is tonsillitis or mononucleosis. I have attached few pictures of my throat.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your post and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You have a short history of sore throat and muscle pain, and your images show exudative pharyngitis. The most common reason is a viral infection, which will explain the sore throat and myalgias.

Infectious mononucleosis is less likely because it is associated with cervical lymphadenopathy and other symptoms like pain in the right hypochondrium due to enlarged spleen.

I think you have an influenza viral infection, and it will settle in a week to 10 days. There is no reason to worry.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have sore throat from two years. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a bad case of sore throat. It has been two years since I have a sore throat. I regularly gargle with hot water or diluted Betadine gargles (Povidone-iodine solution ), but there is no effect. Rather, it has gotten worse.  Read Full »

I have sore throat and weight loss. Do I need to test again for STD?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for...  Read Full »

Can a viral infection increase the ESR level?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old male. My recent blood report shows high ESR level (48 mm/hr). I am having a cough, fever, and a headache since eight days. The doctor told me that I have a viral infection, and has given me antibiotics and a cough syrup. Please guide.  Read Full »