Q. Why should one drink lots of water while taking Phenazopyridine?

Dr. Rashi Verma
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 18, 2020

I have interstitial cystitis. Why should one drink lots of water while taking Phenazopyridine?

#

• Phenazopyridine is a drug which is used to treat pain, burning urination, increased urination or increased urge to urinate.
  • These symptoms are caused by problems in the lower urinary tract due to infection, injury or any condition that irritated the urinary tract.
  • For any infection of the urinary tract, it is advised to keep yourself hydrated as this helps in flushing out the toxin as water is excreted via the urinary tract.
  • So, when Phenazopyridine is mixed with water, it is able to reach the tract quickly and it also functions better that way.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|