Q. Why should one drink lots of water while taking Phenazopyridine?

Dr. Rashi Verma
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 18, 2020

I have interstitial cystitis. Why should one drink lots of water while taking Phenazopyridine?

Dr. Rashi Verma

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

• Phenazopyridine is a drug which is used to treat pain, burning urination, increased urination or increased urge to urinate.
  • These symptoms are caused by problems in the lower urinary tract due to infection, injury or any condition that irritated the urinary tract.
  • For any infection of the urinary tract, it is advised to keep yourself hydrated as this helps in flushing out the toxin as water is excreted via the urinary tract.
  • So, when Phenazopyridine is mixed with water, it is able to reach the tract quickly and it also functions better that way.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

My 7 year old daughter has repeated urine infections. How to clear it out?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter aged 7 years has a urine infection. We have done a urine culture as well as regular analysis and found that there is an infection. She has this problem from a long time. She has a bad habit of holding her urine for a long time until she can hold it no more.  Read Full »

A Patient's Guide to Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections

Article Overview: If you have frequent urinary tract infections, here are some strategies to reduce your risk. Read Article

Dr. Davie Wong
Urologist

1) Post-Menopause: As you get older, hormonal changes cause alterations to your vagina and its contents, predisposing you to urinary tract infections. Topical estrogen applied inside the vagina can reduce the risk of infections. Your doctor will decide if this treatment is right for you. 2) Sexual...  Read Article

Kindly recommend a medicine for urine infection.

Query: Hi doctor,I am suffering from a urinary infection for the last one week. I am unable to control urine. But, no medication is taken yet. I am a 34 year old female. My height is 154 cm and weight 76 kg.  Read Full »