Q. Does blood phosphorus level of 4. 58 mean kidney failure?

My reports are as follows. My blood phosphorous level is 4.58 mg, and it was always 3.2 mg. Rest kidney test is fine. Seeing my report, can you please tell me if my kidney is failing? I am too much worried. I am having Metformin 1000 mg as I am prediabetic and Voveron painkiller last week?

#

As such increase in phosphorus is not a marker of kidney disease. It can happen due to an increase in the daily products intake, pain-killer intake, and dehydration. I do not find any reason to worry.

I took Voveron as I was having pain in feet and had three times in the last few days. Secondly, I increased my dose of Metformin from 500 to 1000 mg. Can Metformin cause high phosphorus? Is 4.58 level very high? Does Voveron increase it temporarily and when can I repeat the test?

#

Yes, Voveran (Diclofenac) can do that. I really do not think Metformin is the cause. I would recommend you to drink plenty of fluids and get it repeated after five days and write back to me with the reports.

With this report that I sent you, is there anything to worry about kidney health? Should I keep taking Metformin to control sugar?

#

No, as such I will not take this report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) as a matter of worry. As per my experience, such levels of phosphorus fluctuates and they are significant if you have high urea and creatinine levels. Yes, you can carry on with Metformin. If even after a few weeks your blood sugars do not improve, I would help you with the better options.

Is phosphorus marker of kidney disease or urea and creatinine? Secondly, what is the normal range of phosphorus? Is 4.58 very high or just little? How much is significant high? So my kidney is safe?

#

The normal range of serum phosphorous ranges 2.4 to 4.4 mg/dl. So, yours is just slightly above the normal range. But since your urea, creatinine is normal, I do not find any reason to worry. Do not get apprehensive. You will be fine. It is a marker of kidney disease only if urea and creatinine are high. In my opinion, your kidney is safe.

I repeated the blood test and phosphorus came at 3.15.

#

Such discrepancies are common to see. And we do not worry when urea, creatinine are normal.

|