Q. My face turns red when I am exposed to sunlight. What could it be?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
Published on Dec 03, 2017

I am a 21-year-old male trying to achieve an overall good facial complexion. For a number of years now my skin seems to be a bit damaged and has a lot less color to it than the rest of my body. My face seems to have general redness to it which is accelerated in the winter. I wash my face daily and use moisturisers but it seems to have no real effect. I smoke occasionally and go on sunbeds around once a week as it seems as though when my skin is whiter, the redness is more apparent. I do not feel as if it is as much of a problem in dark lighting, but I feel way more exposed in bright white lighting. I also follow a pretty good diet. Would you be able to help me in this regard?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

• Right now, you are having photocontact dermatitis, which is redness of exposed skin parts on exposure to sunlight.
  • This may be followed by hyperpigmentation and that is why you are observing different facial skin tones as compared to the rest of the body.
  • Try applying sunblock with an SPF (sun protection factor) of 40 to 60. For 15 to 20 minutes, you can go out or even stay indoor as indoor lights also emit ultraviolet rays.
  • Apply this after every two to three hours.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

What is the role of aldosterone in controlling BP?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got high blood pressure, low potassium and vitamin D levels. Also, my aldosterone level is very low that is almost non-existent. I think low aldosterone is supposed to cause low blood pressure. I am wondering once I start the low aldosterone treatment will my blood pressure, potass...  Read Full »

Please advise the best treatment for heel pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I have started getting heel pain after exerting in tennis. Please see the photo of the pain area marked in red. Initially, I had continuous pain while walking. It is slightly more on the first few steps after rest or sleep. My physiotherapist suggested it could be a plantar fasciitis and ...  Read Full »

When can I start my routine work after bullhorn lip lift?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 year old female and a weightlifter. I have had a bullhorn lip lift. My doctor advised me to avoid sports for three weeks and can start with my routine works later. But, I need a second opinion. I pull and push hard to my limits. So, my blood pressure might be high at this moment...  Read Full »