Piercing Infection

How long does an infected cartilage piercing take to heal?

Query: I had a question about my ear infection. A few weeks ago I got a cartilage piercing. I used saline solution to clean the piercing because the piercer said not to use any alcohol or peroxide. After going to the doctor the first time, she told me to use peroxide to clean it but rinse it off after. (Is...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi welcome to icliniq Ma’am it’s due to infection only. As i can see in picture it all developed after piercing only. In most of the cases it’s seen then people develop such infections after piercing. Because when we have opening or wound then it’s easier for injection to ge...  Read Full »

Can keloid develop on a cartilage ear piercing?

Query: Should I go to the doctor if I have a keloid on my cartilage ear piercing? Started a few days ago, to swollen to keep piercing in and it hurts a lot.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! A keloid does develop over pierced cartilagenous areas of the ear. It takes approximately 2 months for a keloid to form in the pierced region and if often painless. The swelling you have developed could be due contact dermatitis due to which the area has got inflammed and tender. You can co...  Read Full »

Am I experiencing ear pain because of the infected piercing?

Query: From 4-5 i have been experiencing ear pain not outer pain inside the ear canal. It started a day after one of my piercings got infected and started bleeding. I haven’t taken any type of medication. The piercing has healed but my ear still hearts. My sleep schedule is messed and i sleep around 7 am...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! The most common reason to have pain is due to dermatitis which has led to an infection. Dermatitis occurs due to reaction of the metal piercing with the skin. You can start an antibiotic tab ciplox 500mg one tab two times a day after food for next 5 days. In addition, please do any analgesic ...  Read Full »

What should be done to cure infected piercing?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an infected piercing. It is already one month since I have got a piercing. My infection is getting worse so I removed it. What should I do to my wound? I removed my piercing. It is my first time to be pierced so I do not know how to clean it and I am using fake pieces of jewelr...  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry for the infection site you are experiencing. You need to get evaluated by your physician. I think you need prescription oral antibiotics. Wash with warm water and antiseptic soap, rinse well, dry thoroughly, apply oxygenated water, then apply Betadine. At the...  Read Full »

How to cure infection after ear piercing?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 4 years old. After piercing her ear, she is suffering from piercing infection. Her weight is 20 kg. I have also attached the pictures of her ears.  Read Full »

Dr. Eriol Braholli

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It obviously is an infection from the piercing. To cure that you have to take the following measures. Remove the piercing. If pus comes out of piercing hole, squeeze it gently and put warm compresses to ease draining. I suggest her Cefuroxime syrup 250 mg per 5 mL a ...  Read Full »

I have a red bump near my nose piercing. Please suggest some ointment.

Query: Hi doctor, I got a nose piercing done a month back. It was done with a gunshot, and the metal did not suit me. It ended up with a swelling at the area. I changed it to a gold stud, which worked and the piercing was fine till now. From the past 4 to 5 days, I can see a red bump near the piercing. I v...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read your concern.With your description, it seems you have developed irritant contact dermatitis to the metal stud.I suggest you try using Fucibet cream (Betamethasone and Fusidic acid) twice daily for seven days over the affected area. Do not wear any metal stud in ...  Read Full »

How to resolve the pain at the ear piercing site?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a piercing done in the upper portion of my ear about four months back. Still, I have pain around one of my ears, but there are no signs of infection. I do apply lukewarm salt water solution to the affected area, but still it hurts. Please let me know something to resolve this.  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ear piercing can lead to chronic infections and the use of earrings can further add on the metal allergy. Kindly mention if the procedure was done at a professional center and the type of the earrings that you use. Kindly upload an image of the present condition, even if...  Read Full »