Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Should I go to the doctor if I have a keloid on my cartilage ear piercing?

Answered by
Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 01, 2020

Should I go to the doctor if I have a keloid on my cartilage ear piercing? Started a few days ago, to swollen to keep piercing in and it hurts a lot.



A keloid does develop over pierced cartilagenous areas of the ear. It takes approximately 2 months for a keloid to form in the pierced region and if often painless. The swelling you have developed could be due contact dermatitis due to which the area has got inflammed and tender. You can consider taking the following treatment for the same

  1. Tab ciplox 750mg (500 +250mg) one tab two times a day after food 12hrs apart for 1 week. This is an antibiotic and can cause loose motions. If the loose motions get too severe you can take probiotics 2 times a day for 1 week.
  2. Tab zerodol th8mg (or its equivalent) one tab two times a day after food 12 hrs apart for 1 week.
  3. Tab ultracet (or its equivalent) one tab at night after food for next 1 week
  4. Tab pan d (or its equivalent) one tab once in the morning before bfast for next 1 week.
  5. Keep the ear dry, refrain from using ear buds.
  6. Apply soframycin antibiotic ointment to prevent development of an infection.

I hope I have answered your query in detail. If there is anything more that you need to know or want to enquire, please do let us know and we will get back to you ASAP. Warm regards.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How can I cure infected piercing?

.. sorry for the infection site you are experiencing. You need to get evaluated by your physician. I think you need prescription oral antibiotics. Wash with warm water and antiseptic soap, rinse well, dry thoroughly, apply oxygenated water, then appl...   Read full

I did not remove my make up after a party and slept off.And the very next day I got small red pimples on my face.Please help.

This might be allergic contact dermatitis or cosmetic-induced acne ...   Read full

How to resolve the pain at the ear piercing site?

.. can lead to chronic infections and the use of earrings can further add on the metal allergy. Kindly mention if the procedure was done at a professional center and the type of the earrings that you use. Kindly upload an image of the present condit...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have redness and itching after stopping Hydroquinone and Mometasone cream. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am using skin lite cream for the past two years. This cream contains Hydroquinone and Mometasone. Now I am stopping the usage of this cream. Now in my face, I am seeing redness and itching like skin allergy. Please suggest the best creams or medicine to cure this problem.  Read Full »

I had a pimple which has become an outgrowth like structure. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,One month ago, I had a pimple on my cheek. I scratched it due to itching. And after it almost started to harden I again scratched it. Now it has become an outgrowth like structure and looking bad after shaving. Kindly give a suitable medication for this.  Read Full »

Why does my husband have a scar on his chest?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband has got a scar on his chest following a pimple. Now, I feel that the size of the scar has become bigger than it was before. It is not painful, but he feels itchy sometimes. He has the scar for around three years now. He has a family history of keloid in his maternal grandmother...  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As content published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.