Q. Should I go to the doctor if I have a keloid on my cartilage ear piercing?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Should I go to the doctor if I have a keloid on my cartilage ear piercing? Started a few days ago, to swollen to keep piercing in and it hurts a lot.

#

Hi!

A keloid does develop over pierced cartilagenous areas of the ear. It takes approximately 2 months for a keloid to form in the pierced region and if often painless. The swelling you have developed could be due contact dermatitis due to which the area has got inflammed and tender. You can consider taking the following treatment for the same

1. Tab ciplox 750mg (500 +250mg) one tab two times a day after food 12hrs apart for 1 week. This is an antibiotic and can cause loose motions. If the loose motions get too severe you can take probiotics 2 times a day for 1 week.
  2. Tab zerodol th8mg (or its equivalent) one tab two times a day after food 12 hrs apart for 1 week.
  3. Tab ultracet (or its equivalent) one tab at night after food for next 1 week
  4. Tab pan d (or its equivalent) one tab once in the morning before bfast for next 1 week.
  5. Keep the ear dry, refrain from using ear buds.
  6. Apply soframycin antibiotic ointment to prevent development of an infection.

I hope I have answered your query in detail. If there is anything more that you need to know or want to enquire, please do let us know and we will get back to you ASAP. Warm regards.

|