Q. After one month of pilonidal surgery, I noticed pus and bloody traces from the surgical site. Why?

Dr. Arvind Guru
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I got pilonidal sinus surgery one month ago, and they stitched the surgical wound with internal stitches as well. Everything was going smooth until today when I noticed a bloody trace on my underwear. When I checked, I saw a hole close to the incision and some pus and blood discharge. I do not feel any pain, and there is no swelling around. My doctor told me it could be deep internal suture splitting, but I cannot see a suture in my wound. I do not take any medication now; previously, I took antibiotics to prevent the infection in the wound.

Kindly give your opinion.

#

I have seen both attached images (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). Unfortunately, this hole has reappeared. It means, despite all measures, some infections did occur and led to skin breakdown. This cannot always be prevented despite best efforts. There is a good chance that this is superficial and heals with sitz baths. However, it could also be the beginning of recurrence of the sinus development.

Right now, you should follow up with your surgeon. No further surgery is advisable at this time.

|